Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Say goodbye to pain!

I've been in a little bit of pain every day for a week now. The pain level varies every day, but for the most part, it's always there. I've been prescribed a regular drug, Hydrocodone (street name, Loratab) and have also used this every day for a week now. That may make me sound like a druggie, but don't worry friends, I'm not. It's only since my surgery. And sometimes, I try hard not to take the pill, because I don't want to become dependent on it, but then Chelle told me something interesting the other day: Your body doesn't heal as quickly or well when it's in pain. So I'm trying to stay on top of it.
Being on hydrocodone makes me feel loopy, like it does everyone. Not a lot, but I can tell it makes my brain just move a little slower. I do my best to not let it, but it's just nice to have the pain go away completely. This morning, I couldn't figure out how it works. How any pain reliever works is out of my head, but in this case, this drug seems to take everything away, and it blows my mind. So naturally, I Googled it, and I found something interesting. It acts as an opiate which interferes with the pain receptors in the brain and spinal cord. Weird, right? But it makes sense, and now I know!
Don't worry friends, I'm not becoming addicted (I hope!) and I definitely use it only when the pain is awful. Hopefully, the pain will be gone soon for good, and I'll no longer have to go about, being slower than normal!

Today, I am thankful for the invention of and/or finding of strong pain relievers, so that surgeries and the like aren't too painful.

1 comment:

Chelle! said...

You are quite a different person when you are taking Lortab. Commical but strange. :)