Monday, November 5, 2012

A Day Like the Amish

Today, I knew what it meant to be without the modern technologies we all love. Ok, that might be a bit of an overstatement. But I felt sort of like it. Let me explain.

This past Saturday, my MIL came over, to give me a present, she said. She came over and presented me with the funds/opportunity to get myself an iPhone 5. She knew I wanted one, and hadn’t given me a birthday present, so this was a joint birthday/Christmas present. I got online, and ordered one, and after a few trials, I had one delivered to the Apple Store in Murray, able to be picked up today. Pops and I hopped in his tiny SmartCar and drove up there. We got the phone, and as the guy was checking us out, he mentioned my phone would be deactivated. I assumed he meant that it would be when I plugged the new phone into my iTunes, but no, he meant right then. Since I wasn’t going home just yet (this was about noon, after all, I was only taking my lunch break) I wasn’t going to plug in my phone. Which meant that my old phone was obsolete, and my new phone wasn’t working. So really, I was cut off, communication-wise.

After the day of not having the phone (and going through some withdrawals, I’ll admit it) I made it home. I plugged in the phone and after a good long while of updating my phone, adding the stuff, etc, it was complete. …Except that my apps didn’t show up, the phone apparently needed another update. So I did that, and huzzah, my apps arrived! …Sadly, none of my music or movies made the switch over. So pretty much, I was short of some things. I spent some of the evening adding movies/TV shows, and some of the evening adding music. Of course, its not like I want all of my music on here, only some, so I just went through my library and had to hand pick the music I wanted. It took a good long while, and finally, I just gave up, because I had other things to do.

So far, I’m enjoying this phone. I’m really loving Siri, I’ve told her who’s who in my phone, and I’ve asked her to call me Team Vieve, which she does. I don’t know why, but that tickled me quite plainly. I’ve asked her questions, had her send texts, and told her she did a great job, and the fact that she answers me like she’s a human makes me laugh a little harder than I probably should. I sadly don’t have a case yet (that will arrive on Wednesday) so I feel like I need to handle it with kid gloves and be so careful. But I am psyched for my new phone, and glad that everything is finally on here.

Today, I am thankful for a dad who up and drove to Murray with me – even though he probably didn’t want to.

1 comment:

Chelle! said...

Maybe I should be a iPhone5...I need a friend that is nice. Siri would be that perfect friend. HA HA
Glad you are back from the land of the Amish.