Sunday, November 4, 2012

Stuffed Pepper Casserole

I'm only 4 days into the month, and I'm already a little dry on the topics. In my defense, it is Sunday, and Sunday is a do-nothing day. But I did make a new recipe for dinner, and decided to share that. It should be no guess to figure out where I got the recipe, so lets just bypass that. I made Stuffed Peppers Casserole, and it was really easy. Here's the recipe:
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
1 lb lean ground beef
2 small green peppers, coarsely chopped
1 tsp onion powder
salt to taste, optional
3 garlic cloves
2 C brown rice, cooked
1 24-oz jar of spaghetti sauce. If you are using a plain spaghetti sauce, you'll want to add in 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning, 2 tsp season salt, 2 tsp onion powder, and 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder to give it more flavor
1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Cook meat in frying pan until almost completely browned. Drain and rinse. Place beef back in pan and add peppers, onion powder, salt, and garlic cloves. Cook over medium heat until beef is completely cooked and peppers begin to turn tender.
In a casserole dish, stir together the rice, spaghetti sauce, and 3/4 cup cheese. Add in the beef mixture and stir until combined. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 25 minutes, or until heated through and cheese begins to brown. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Now, that's the recipe, let me tell you what I did differently. I was eating by myself, so I just cut the recipe right in half, and it made enough to fill an 8x8 dish. I thought I had an entire green pepper, but it turns out I didn't, so I used a half of a green pepper, instead of a whole. It worked, but I would have liked more pepper. I used onion salt instead of onion powder, and I only used like, 2 cloves of garlic instead of 3, because I think garlic is an over-powering flavor. I used white rice instead of brown, because I think white is more delicious. And I didn't measure my cheese, really. I used less than a cup to measure in, so I sort of measured that, but then on the top, I just threw cheese on there until I felt like it looked good. I cooked for 20 minutes, let sit, and enjoyed. It is freaking delicious.
Ta-daaaa! I recommend this to you all - it was awesome.

Today I am thankful for daylight savings time, and the extra time I had to get to church on time. :)

1 comment:

Chelle! said...

Oh my goodness...I need to make this. It looks absolutely delicious. I love the recipes you find.