Saturday, November 13, 2010

Tick tock, on the clock…

I went running today. (a shock! I know!) I have this running spot that I go to, it’s down in the Sports Park of SF. Today, I get all ready, hop in my car, get down to the place, do a pre-run stretch (not like an actual stretch, just the kind that you do when you wake up, you know, arms over your head, full body tense, just to yawn it out) and then started walking. I made sure this morning that I had enough clothing to be warm, long sleeves, longer shorts, etc. I had my iPod, I had gum, I had chapstick. I took a few steps, then went to turn on my stopwatch on my watch, looked at my wrist, and…nothing. I had forgotten my watch!
It’s not that big of a deal to forget my watch, but still, how irritating. To do my run with no timer, just to free-form it…I never do this! So instead of doing this new run I had envisioned, I went with an old run that I know about the time that I have on it, to have an inkling of how long I had run, because I’m not really sure when I started. The last time I remember looking at a clock was in my car, on my way down to the place, but I was still a few minutes away when I looked at it.

It was actually a pleasant run, not one that was ruled by the clock, I had to just go on feel. I did the route I thought of, and when I got in my car at the end and looked at the clock, I figure I did about an hours worth of running. It was interesting experience to not have minutes to be counting down on, but I don’t know that it’s one I’d do more than a few times. Its not that I’m ruled by the clock, its just that if I want to put the effort of running in, I’d like to be able to know exactly how long I did it for! Next time, I’ll just have to remember – double check for the watch!

No comments: