Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The passing of a friend

This is an ironic event that has happened. We all know of my friend, Leafy. He has had a special place in my heart these past seven days of our knowing each other. We’ve had our ups, basking in the sunshine, hanging out, and we’ve had the downs of a few recent rainstorms. Even during all of these rainstorms, Leafy held onto my windshield wiper with all of his might. I thought, foolishly, that we would be together forever. It took me so long to blog about him though, that you all have barely gotten to know him before he has left us so quickly.

It happened so fast. I headed out to my car this morning, and noting that it wasn’t snowing (like the radio announcer said this morning) I was happy. As I was getting to my car, I thought, I should take a picture of Leafy this morning, so that people can see him. But I was in a hurry, so I just jumped into my car, and fired it up. Noticing I had some rain/snow on my windshield, I turned on the wipers. This is when everything went horribly wrong. As soon as they went, instead of hanging on like he usually does, Leafy just…let go. Off he flew, into the oblivion of things. My friend is gone, and now I am mourning him.

I had a quick eulogy for him on the way to work, and shed a tear or two for the good times we shared. I’ll always have him in my heart, and think of him fondly whenever I see a tree. For now, Leafy my dear, I will miss you. You’ll never be replaced.

 

RIP Leafy 11-2-09 to 11-9-09

2 comments:

Chelle! said...

So, Gabby, did he pass away or did he just "leaf" you? HA HA...sorry, I just had to add that there! I am glad that I was one of the privileged that was able to meet him. So sad for your loss...hope things go better and you can find a new friend...:)

Maleen said...

Seriously, you and I need to work on your naming of things.