Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sing a song, a pretty little song

This morning, I was humming a song to myself, like always, and trying to think of the words to it. As I sang the words I knew, I realized I was singing the state capitals to this tune. I laughed, because the version of it I was singing was the one that I learned from Animaniacs. (Don’t judge – not only have these guys taught me some of the states and their capital cities, but I have also learned to name the countries of the world from them. Well, the ones I can remember at least)

After I’d been singing the tune for a while, I realized that I don’t know the actual real words to that song. I don’t know even what the name of the song is, just the words that I’ve learned from those little animals. I’ve never really been clear on what animal the Animaniac kids are. Cats? Dogs? I have no clue.

I think I have a lot of songs like this, that I know words to it that aren’t the real words. I’ve tried all day to remember the real lyrics to these tunes, but alas, I’ve taught myself too well. Maybe someday I’ll enlist the help of others, and learn what they are, but that seems pointless. If I learned the real words, then I wouldn’t remember the capitals! I’d forget that Texas has Austin, and then we go north to Montpelier which is up in Vermont, and Salt Lake City is out in Utah where the buffalo roam! I could go all day with these! But really, which is more precious here? The “real lyrics” or having knowledge of Montgomery, Alabama, south of Helena, Montana? I think we all know the answer to that.

2 comments:

Chelle! said...

I think songs are the best when they are made up. I seem to do that a lot.

Maleen said...

Really, what are they? Dogs or cats? Or neither?