Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Caramel Apples…a dangerous adventure

Last night, Chelle and I got together to yet again make some caramel apples, candy-cane popcorn and dipped Oreos. It was going to be a great night. We started off by making the popcorn – and we started by smashing up the candy canes:

candycane

Then after that, we got started on the apples. While Chelle was making the popcorn, I washed and scrubbed the apples. I had taken the caramel (a 5-lb block, mind you) out of the box and set it on the counter. I turned the heat on the pot, then turned to get the caramel and put it in the pot. The caramel had gotten stuck to the counter! I was trying so hard to pry it off with no luck. Chelle came over to help me, and the two of us were pulling it off with all of our might, and POP! it came off the counter!

…and landed directly onto my big toe. Ouch!

Toe

Luckily I had the presence of mind to take a picture of my toe right afterwards. It wasn’t too horrible right after it happened, which is when this was taken. We kept going with the caramel apples, because I wasn’t going to stop making these just because my foot hurt. We had an issue with the caramel scorching in the pot, but we remedied that by getting a new pot, etc. We got done dipping all the apples, and by that time, my foot was killing me! So we take a look at it, and it’s now like, purple, and considerably bigger and just looking generally gross. I usually don’t ever go to the doctor, but we decided to make an exception.

Chelle drove me to Insta-Care, and we got an exam. My blood pressure was taken, my pulse, etc. The nurse (who I didn’t really care for, she was sorta bratty) asked me if I was nervous, because my pulse was like, 100-something and I replied that I must have been, but I don’t know why. After waiting a while, the nurse came in to take me to X-Rays.

Wheelchair

After the X-Rays (which were painful!) they brought me back, and I waited again for the doctor to come in with the diagnosis.

Broken.

My poor big toe.

The doctor told us he couldn’t do anything for it, just elevate, ice and ibuprofen, and sent us on our merry way. We went back to Chelle’s and finished the apples (they looked fabulous, but I didn’t get a picture), iced my foot, took some pills, and called it a night.

Today it still hurts, of course, so I’m walking gingerly and taking my pills for it. I wore by biggest, loosest pair of shoes today to alleviate some of the pain, and it’s not too bad, but it still feels best to be shoeless, which I mostly am on that foot. I have a bandage over it, to make sure the cut doesn’t get anything on it, but that’s mostly it.

What a night it was! I’m so glad we made the apples, but man, the elements sure were against us doing them. Next time, once we start getting signs like that again…I think I’ll play it safe and stop!

1 comment:

Chelle! said...

Aw...I am so sad that your foot was in the way of the falling caramel. Not a good night for either one of us. What was up with it? I still do not get it.