Monday, November 9, 2009

I'm sorry, can you say that again?

As nearly everyone knows, my mama is German. Not just by claim, but like literally, full-on, accented with rage, German. I add the "with rage" because for some reason, every time I hear German, whether it be the language, or just English with the German accent, the person sounds so angry to me! What is that about? Good work, Germans, you guys are a people full of anger.
Anyways, there are times where mama will say something that will make me pause, and want to hear it again. Of course, as soon as I say "what was that?" She gets all suspicious, like she already knows that I'm just making her say it to laugh at the accented word. I won't lie, most of the time, this is why I'm asking her to repeat it. And believe me, as soon as this happens, all of the family is in on the conspiracy to get her to repeat, so we all act so innocent. Like, maybe we all happened to shut off our ears at the same time, missing just the one word.
Lately, my favorite words to hear being said are the following: (I'm going to see if I can write how it sounds, we'll see how successful that is)
Penguin, which is just hilarious. Said pin-goo-in
Commitee, being said Comm-ict-tik-ee
Obnoxious. This is harder to write. It's like auk-knock-ish. That's weird to look at!

I know that there are loads more, but these are my favorites for now. Penguin is the one I've been getting her to say more often than anything, and as soon as I hear it, I collapse in a fit of giggles. Even though it's annoying for her to play my "repeat yourself" game, surely, she's gotta love that at least we're listening, right? ...right?

2 comments:

Maleen said...

I take you have lived here your whole life, but your accent is not nearly as annoying (just kidding, you don't have an accent).

Your poor mom must be fed up by now, but I admit that I would do the same thing. Especially to hear pin-gu-in a couple of times.

Chelle! said...

I love your mom!! She makes me laugh when she is talking. I can not wait until she says those words for me....oh, when is she coming back into work?