Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sugar, we're going down swinging

As everyone who knows me knows, Real had another playoff game tonight. It was the final one before the MLS cup game next weekend. Whoever won this one would advance to the finals. I hated that the game was so late, at 7:30, but that's only because it was so cold. But I wore two pairs of thick socks, 2 jackets, a couple of shirts, and I was still cold. There was no escaping the cold! We played the New York Red Bulls, and sadly...we didn't win. Not for lack of trying, we played so hard, particularly towards the end. We lost, 1-0. They scored off a crappy judgment call by our defense. It was unfortunate, but nothing we can do to control that. We barely limped toward the half, trying to defend ourselves. When we came back, we were ready to play. We came out swinging, and thats how we went down. We were all-out until the final whistle. Real was just terribly unlucky. I can't even count the number of times a shot of ours bounced off the bar, or barely missed. By the end of the game, I just had to laugh when we missed, to stop from crying.
It was our first year getting into the playoffs, and it won't be our last. I'm so sad that now the season is over. No more MLS until the season begins next March/April. I'll have to get my soccer fix now from the EPL games. And while I love any soccer game, of any team, it's just not the same. I know the players and coaches in our league. I know some of the guys over in England, but not nearly enough. But at least I have some games to tide me over. I'm hoping in the off season, Real can improve in their consistency, to be the team I know they can be. Then next year, when we advance to the MLS Cup, I'll be there to cheer my team on.

1 comment:

Chelle! said...

Along with cheering for REAL, we will be cheering on for someone else at that REAL game!!