Monday, November 17, 2008

Maybe I'm too smart... so smart it's off-putting.

Ok, know in advance that this blog is a rant. And I'm not trying to brag (very much...) in here, I just need to get something off my chest.
When I was younger, I was a pretty smart kid. I didn't outgrow it or anything-don't make those jokes, silly peeps. I started reading at a young age, and, although I know this doesn't indicate smartness, I read incredibly fast. I was in all the higher math classes in school-I was the only sophomore in my class full of seniors. I'd probably consider myself pretty intelligent, if I had to admit it.
I understand that people don't think I'm very bright. Maybe because I laugh at dumb things, or just laugh/giggle a lot in general, have a super-sunny disposition, or because I do the 'That's What She Said' jokes-which I find hilarious. I'm constantly finding myself having things explained to me-things which I already understand. Mostly at work-people who have been there longer than I seem to want to explain simple things to me. I get it all-I understand how to do it. But there they are-and of course, they're always pretty condescending about it. I'm not alone in this particular instance-others have actually noticed it as well. I don't like to be talked down to, I don't like having things "dumbed down" for me-I already get what you're trying to explain to me.
So dear friends who read this (all four of you) please understand this and spread the word. I not dumb-contrary to the vibe I might give off. Regardless, always know that when you're talking, I'm more than listening. I'm probably thinking of more than you realize.

3 comments:

Chelle! said...

Remember not to ask for my help...

PJ said...

I'm pretty smart.

Maleen said...

I used to be that smart girl...then I had kids. Nuf sed.