Sunday, November 16, 2008

Get going. Get up and walk if you have to, but finish the damned race

I went on an afternoon run today, while the weather was the most warm. I laced up my shoes, cranked the iPod up to 11, and set out. I'm trying to run outside right now, to prepare. I'm doing another race! I haven't done one in a long time-and I don't think the time between has been kind. In the beginning of the year, when we were doing races, I was good, I did them with no problem. But then came the summer, and things were just way too busy to run every day, and my fitness dropped a little. PJ told me about this race about a week ago, and we just knew we had to do it. It's on Thanksgiving day, and it's a 4-miler. I'm totally looking forward to this.
Running is my drug. Sometimes I bitch about it before I have to do it, but I love it. I know some people like to drink or do drugs, or whatever, to forget a problem, or try to think it out, but not me. My drink is running. I love that if I need to think something out, I can just run. I just have to put on my shoes, and after the initial 5 minutes where I'm getting used to the breathing, I'm in. I just let my mind go, and I can think about nothing, or I can think everything out. I don't have to hear other people jabbering about anything, and I don't have to get a group together to do my thing. It's just me. I love it.
I can't wait for this race, and seeing how it's in 11 days, I better start getting prepared. Of course, this means I now give up my favorite foods. We did this for the last race, and it totally helped, so here I go. Wish me luck in not eating my delicious chocolates and similar foods for the next two weeks. Of course, that night is Thanksgiving, so I'll be eating it all then and more, so it'll be ok, at least I have an end goal in sight. And good news, if I finish in the top 5 (of women) I get a free turkey! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Maleen said...

Good luck on the race! And I would rather be an Alias Spy even though I have never seen the show, but you make it sound great.

Chelle! said...

Good luck on your race...I hope you win a turkey!!