Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Chocolate Crinkle Kiss Cookies

I found these cookies on Pinterest, and was jazzed to make them. I’ve made a similar one before, but with a completely different recipe, so I was excited to see how these turn out. First, the ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tsp baking powder
½ Tsp salt
2 cups sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 Tsp vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
Assorted Hershey’s kisses (I chose peppermint, like the original pin, but I wanted to make it with mint, but couldn’t find them)

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla until smooth. Slowly mix in the flour mixture until just combined. Place plastic wrap over bowl and refrigerate dough for 2 hours. Meanwhile, unwrap Hershey’s kisses and place in a small bowl; freeze until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray. Put the powdered sugar in a small bowl. Scoop dough into ½ tablespoon balls, roll in powdered sugar, and place on baking sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until cookies crackle and no longer look raw. Remove from oven and immediately press a frozen kiss into each cookie, and then put cookie sheet into the freezer, just until the kiss is set and is no longer shiny. Remove from freezer and allow to cool completely.

Now, let me tell you the variations I did, and not on purpose, but because I didn’t read ahead. I was getting everything ready, and had just mixed the dough together (this was at about 7:30, in case you wondered) and then I read the part about putting the dough in the oven. Well, forget that, I said to myself, and just continued on with the process. The dough was really sticky, but I sprayed my hands with PAM, and just kept on trucking. I did put the kisses in the freezer, though, but maybe they should have been in there longer. Read the recipes first, people, is what I’m saying. So then I rolled them into the balls, and baked the cookies, and then I removed them, and put a kiss in the center, and put them into the freezer. Now, I changed the wording on my recipe here to help you guys out, but in the original recipe, it says: “then put cookie sheet into the freezer, just until the chocolate is set and is no longer shiny” I assumed it meant the chocolate of the cookie, so that was confusing to me. I pulled the cookies out of the freezer, and as they were just chilling on the counter, the kisses kept melting, and I was like, well shoot. So, it wasn’t until I was putting the very last batch of cookies into the freezer that I realized, they meant the chocolate in the kisses is set. Oooops. Its ok, the rest turned out ok, they just had a small amount of meltage. But then finally, I got to eat one and..

*chorus sings*

They’re delicious! Seriously, with how easy these were, everyone should be eating them. Post haste. Make them, eat them, love them.

Peppermint

1 comment:

Chelle! said...

These were heavenly and I want another one...so BAD!!