Saturday, June 1, 2013

Laid to Rest

Today, we laid to rest my sweet in-laws, Steve and Sue. After a hard week of a lot of memories, and trying to figure out everything, today was the funeral. We had a viewing last night, and another small one this morning before the funeral, and then we had the funeral. I thought the funeral was good, it had the perfect amount of humor and sadness, and humor is sometimes needed in times like these. As we arrived at the cemetery, and the caskets were put into the spots, that’s mostly when it all hit me, that this was it. This was the final time we’d be with them, this was the last time the kids would be with their parents’ physical bodies. It kind of hit us all hard right then, that this was it. I’m grateful for the example these 2 have taught us, and I’m grateful that they’ve raised such wonderful children. I know the family will have to step in and step up to be parental-figures to my younger sisters in law, and I hope we can help out, and hopefully be as good as teachers as Steve and Sue would have us be. I know we can never replace them, nor would we want to, but I hope we can still be a good example, and help everyone from here on out.

After the funeral. the Clark side of the family got together and had a memorial-type thing. We all wore our family reunion shirts from a few years ago, and wore any hats we could, it was a crazy hat party, which is apparently something the Clark’s have done for years. It was nice, amidst all the sadness, to hear such fond memories of my in-laws, and to feel the love every one has for each other. Having grown up in Utah, in the Mormon culture, I think I’ve taken it for granted that everyone feels and believes the same, for the most part. So while we all have the knowledge that these deaths aren’t the end, only a see you later, the rest of the family, on both sides, don’t believe the same. So even though we have sadness over the deaths, we’re comforted with the knowledge that we’ll see each other again, in just a little while. It was just sad to see all of the relatives who think that this is it, they’ll never get to see their relative again. I’m grateful for the gospel – and grateful that we’ll all be able to reunite again, when it’s time for me to go.

2 comments:

Maleen said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I have been out of the blogging loop, and I never even knew. How tragic. I too, am very grateful that we know this is not the end, but still...what a huge loss to the family. My deepest sympathies.

Chelle! said...

Vieve, your talk was wonderful. I know that Sue and Steve are pleased of what you and the others shared. I am so grateful to have a powerful testimony that this is not the end...only the beginning. Love ya tons!