Sunday, March 2, 2008

If it moves, kick it. If it doesn't move, kick it until it does.

We have 27 days until soccer season starts. 27 Days! That's no time at all! I am so excited for this year-more excited than I have been in years past. We are ready to go. We have our season tickets, we are learning the players names, and already inventing what we think would be a perfect line-up. Because the season is starting, you'll be hearing a lot more about it, so you'll just have to deal with it. Here are the reasons I'm super psyched for this year:

Our new players. Ian Joy is supposed to be an amazing player, and I can't wait to see him in action. We have Kovalenko we acquired from Chicago, and he is crazy. I want crazy on our team. I'll compare his craziness to Movsisyan, who threw a chair after being red-carded in a game. Alex Nimo. His story is so inspiring, and I can't wait to see the player who risked so much to play this game. Jamison Olave. He's a Columbian defender we have acquired recently, and is 6'4" and 220 pounds. To put it politely, he's built like a truck. I can't wait to see what he can do for us.

Returning favorites. Pretty much the entire team is a returning favorite, and I am excited to see all of them. Kyle Beckerman, with his amazing kicks and attacking (I still do wish he would cut his hair. Although by now, I wonder if I'd like him without his signature dreadlocks!), the Argentineans, Fabian Espindola, Javier Morales and Matias Mantilla are all so amazing. Last year, they were like a breath of fresh air, and I'm hoping this year they'll help us keep breathing. Nick Rimando-unquestionably one of the best goalies in the league. I hope we won't have to use him as much this year (I'd rather we attack all the time instead of defend) but if we do, its good to know his cat-like reflexes will be there. Yura Movsisyan. As stated before, he has a temper. The good thing about that is, while on the field attacking, he is like an animal-he just keeps going until he gets what he wants. I do love mostly all the players we have, but I won't name them all.

The new stadium. For years I've been hoping we could move away from the football field at Rice-Eccles stadium, and it looks like this year I'll get my wish. I just hope the stadium will be as amazing as I hope it will be, and have been imagining for months now.

Player sightings, meetings. I love so much that during the soccer season, I get to meet my idols and get an autograph. One of the highlights of last year was getting to speak to Rimando, and Mantilla last year in an elevator. Mantilla asked if we were afraid of him, and all I could do was giggle like a school girl and say yes. Seeing these people in real life helps me know them better, but also lets me know they're real people. Otherwise, I build them up to be gods. Not that there's anything wrong with that... And I hope they do more meet-and-greet with the players this year. Its a goal of mine to have every player sign my ball.

Those are just a few things that're getting me excited for this year, but impossible to name them all. I will miss the players we have lost or traded, Esky, Jack Stewart, but these new players all have promise. And in 27 days, we'll see if we made the right choices.

3 comments:

Chelle! said...

YEA!! I am excited for you and PJ. The season is about to begin. I did watch part of a soccer game on tv the other night. Too bad it was in Spanish and I had no clue what they were saying.

PJ said...

Awesome title for a great blog. I am so excited I can't stop thinking about soccer. And, if you count the RSL vs. Lobos PFT game, we only have three weeks until we get to watch them in action! WHOO!

julie said...

oh yes soccor, a great sport with so much action, i love it. lets keep the real here.