Friday, February 29, 2008

It's not the power of the curse - it's the power you give the curse.


This evening, I saw Penelope, which stars Christina Ricci, James McAvoy, Catherine O'Hara and Reese Witherspoon. Lets plot it out. Christina plays Penelope, a wealthy girl who is born cursed with a pig nose and ears. To get rid of the pig nose and end the curse, she needs to be loved by one of her own. Her mother (Catherine O'Hara) keeps her locked up her whole life, embarrassed by her nose. Finally, after meeting Max (McAvoy) and having her heart broken, she sets out on her own, hiding her deformity by a scarf. On her adventures, she meets a feisty girl (Witherspoon) and then unveils herself to the world.
Witherspoon is very cute in her spunky role, bu I feel like she was kinda wasted in it, it was so small. I'm mixed on her getting more screen time though. This movie was definitely not about her or her character, so I'm glad we didn't see her too much, but I think because I thought she'd be in the movie more, I was surprised by the littleness of the role. This movie is very charming, I really liked it. Ricci is perfect in her role, everything from her facial expressions to her voice was just perfect. The story line is short, concise and to the point, I love when that happens. It's not slow or dragging, so you're not checking your watch the whole time, waiting for it to be over. Be cautious when seeing this though, if you like a quiet movie theater. With it being a PG movie, there were families aplenty. PJ made a friend with the little girls sitting next to us, that was nice. Catherine O'Hara is funny in her role, which was enjoyable, and James McAvoy was of course delightful, even though he had an American accent and not his trademark British accent. Oh, and as a side note-the movie took place in only what I can describe as a hybrid of America and Britain. I'll call it Ameritain. There were people with both American accents and British accents, and I'm not sure when it's supposed to take place, it had an old-time feel to it. All in all, I recommend this movie, it's a great way to spend an hour and a half.

2 comments:

PJ said...

I think when you said I made friends with the little girls next to us; what you really meant was that I wanted to punch them, a little. It's not polited to stare, and that's about all they did through the whole movie. And the fact htat the one asked me what I was laughing at. I'm laughing at the movie, sweetie. I'm sorry you don't have the comprehension to be laughing, too.

Chelle! said...

HMMM!! I was not planning on watching this movie, but I think that I will. Again, thanks for sharing with us your view on the movies that you watch. It does help to weed out such movies that I would not like to spend my $ on.