Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Holy marathon! I'm getting a stitch, Batman!

I'm a runner. You know this, I know this. Its hard to shake 10 years of soccer off. You always feel lik e you gotta be in shape, just in case a pick-up game happens. Or, in the more likely scenario, you happen to meet a soccer idol and they ask you to play a quick game with them. Mantilla, I'm crossing my fingers. Recently, my friend PJ informed me of a marathon we could run, and we decided to do it. Keep your pants on, not a full marathon. We'll be running the 5k, and believe me, we'll be running the heck out of it. Ever since we were informed of this, I've been in training, and PJ has been training too. I feel soon that she will surpass me in the running, but to combat this, all I can do is run harder better faster stronger. I feel pretty confident in this race to be, at least I know we'll finish it. In the back of my head, where the crazy happens, I'm like, we could totally run the half-marathon! It's only 13 miles, I could run that! But then the logical side of me picks up and I'm like, what?! That would take forever! Plus I'm pretty sure that at like, mile 6, I'd give up and start to walk. Waving at all the people who pass me, yelling, "Good luck! I hope you make it!"
Anyway, now for the shameless plug of the day: visit PJ's blog and read about the marathon, and if you feel inclined, please visit the website she's promoting. We're so psyched to be doing this, its something we've been wanting to do for a while. I just can't wait for it to get a little warmer, so I can start running outside. I can run this race (and then some!) on a treadmill, so now I just need to see if I can run it outside. I don't really know if running on the treadmill is different, but its probably better to find out sooner rather than be at the race, hoping it'll be ok. Now to you runners out there, a 5K might be easy for you to run, but this is my first time, and I can't wait to get over that finish line to be able to say, "I did it, I finished. I'm the best." Wish us luck!

4 comments:

Chelle! said...

You can do it!!! Keep your mind and body focused and you can do it!!!

PJ said...

Thanks for the plug, Gabs! I only have $350 to go!

Maleen said...

Yeah. I don't like running, but I think marathon runners are cool. I actually want to do a triathlon some day so I can say I did something cool, and without much running.

Ashley said...

That is so rad. You will own it. Gook Luck!!