Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Where everybody knows your name...

First off, I grew up in big city Orem, which, according to Wikipedia is the sixth largest city in Utah. How about that? I always liked the size, never had any issues as a small kid with it. I don't think as a youngster I even realized what the difference would be. Anyway, as I was watching a movie today about a small town, I couldn't help but think how cool it would be to live in a small town. I'm sure would I move there now, it'd be quite a culture shock as first, but after a while, I'd settle comfortably into the groove. I'm sure things aren't always as they're presented in movies, but these little towns seem so fun. I'd love to live in a Stars Hollow, where my wacky friends and neighbors are always there for me. I'd love to live in a place where everyone knows my name, where I'd walk down a street and wave at everyone, and they would wave and smile back. In a place where your high school is like 300 hundred people would be awesome. I'd love to have a diner I went to every day, and I know the owner, and he knows what I get every time. And I love the names of the (fictional, that I've only heard in movies) towns. Jupiter Hollow, Stars Hollow, (whats with the Hollows?) they just sound fun.
On the flip side, would you really want everyone in town to know your business? Would you want only like, ten kids to date, and by the time you're grown up to marry, you're marrying the same guy you've been dating since you were like, 13? I know a lot of people do this, and they end up happily, but I don't know how I'd feel about this. And anything you do, you'll be haunted with forever. Your pants fall off when you were ten years old? Yeah, someone will tell that story at your wedding. Get drunk and end up doing something dumb? You'll hear about that forever, too. And they don't have that many stores in these towns, as I've learned, and I don't know how I feel about that. Its not that I'm a shopaholic, far from it, but pretty much every weekend, you can find me at some store. (I'm not always buying something, just fyi. I like to look at the sales and the like, in case I find something) Plus, in these towns, as I understand it, not every movie come there, so I would miss a lot of stuff! There are a lot being here that we don't get, and I have to wait for, and I don't want to have to do this for every movie!
I guess I'm undecided on the issue of being in a small town, I have pros and cons. I think the things I would love about it is I just want to know everyone around me. I think it'd be great to walk everywhere you wanted to be (like they do on the Gilmore's) and have a favorite table at your local diner. And maybe I'd pick a place thats somewhat near a big city, just in case I needed to escape for a weekend. I'd have a house with a white-picket fence, and a tree I could climb with a tree house in it. Maybe my problem isn't that I need to be in a small town, maybe my issue is that I'm in the wrong decade. I think the place I'm thinking of only existed in the 50's. In either case, this is where I'd want to be.

3 comments:

PJ said...

You really need to get on the building the time machine so you can go back to the 50s--where you belong. If not, then you should build your own town and take it back to the 50s (like in The Village).

31 days until First Kick 2008.

Chelle! said...

Hey, I think that sounds simply fabulous!!! I would love to live in a town like Stars Hollow and all that fun stuff. Yep, I think that would be pretty fantastic.

Maleen said...

I think we all long for a different era sometimes. But hey, we couldn't read your blog if we lived in the 50s.