Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Single Awareness Day

It’s that time of year, when guys are furiously searching for gifts for their gals, and girls are busy practicing their surprise faces: Valentines Day. Or, as I like to call it, Single Awareness Day, or SAD. But that’s not to be confused with the SAD of being depressed during the winter, lets make that clear right now. I like to change the name up to reflect my status at said time. To date, I have not yet called it Valentine’s Day. I’m not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I don’t particularly hate this week that much. I say week, because, lets be honest, the week leading up to this day is pretty much like the day itself. You see Valentines Day cards everywhere, there’s red and pink in every store, and hearts all over the place. It’s being shoved down your throats. Probably so that men have no excuse to say they forgot it. Good work stores, way to make sure we celebrate this fake holiday. I know that people do say this is a “real” holiday, from a saint back in medieval times or something, but let’s be honest; it’s not a legitimate holiday. I like to think of holidays as times you get off of work, but then we’d have no holidays! We don’t even get Halloween off, and to me, that is a tragedy. But I digress.
I don’t have any hate towards SAD, I am actually quite glad I don’t have a boyfriend/husband during this time. I might just be naïve in this respect, but I’m glad I don’t have to spend time with a significant other. I can do what I want to do, and I get to mock the couples out who look slightly uncomfortable with each other. Not every couple is like that, of course, and I’m sure many of you out there are laughing at me in my single ignorance, saying, Oh, that Vieve. One day, she’ll understand, and I’m sure I will, but for now, I am enjoying my singledom. I don’t want to have to think of other people’s feelings or thoughts or whatnot when all I care about right now is my own thoughts. I don’t have to stress about getting a gift for a boyfriend, and thinking, is this too much? Is it not enough? Have we been dating for enough time to get each other gifts? Its way too much for me to have to deal with; I have a hard enough time with Christmas gifts for people I’m not particularly close with.
So please, for those of you in a relationship, please don’t pity me. Don’t think this is an attempt to just “make myself feel better”; because I truly am glad I only have myself to worry about. I won’t be sending myself flowers, or envying the people who get them (well, not too much) But if you do see me, I’ll be giving free hugs out, so for those of you who just need a little squeeze to get through the day, I'm totally there for you.

3 comments:

Chelle! said...

I just love the way that worded all of that for your blog. Today will be a great day--since we get to have the quesadilla party. YIPPEE SKIPPEE!!! Life is great!!! Have a delightful exciting day!!!

PJ said...

I'm a grouch today. It has nothing to do with Valentine's Day, I just hate snow. I can't wait to leave tomorrow. I know this has nothing to do with your blog. Dinner and a movie, tonight?

Maleen said...

I'm pretty sure you said you didn't have a significant other to worry about. Are we eliminating PJ?