Monday, February 11, 2008

May I Have the Envelope Please...

Last night, since nobody probably knows, was the BAFTA awards. For those of you who don’t know what that is, it’s the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, and it is akin to our Oscar ceremony. Of course, the crème de la crème of British cinema was there, handing out awards to their own. There’s nothing actors like better than patting themselves on the back, which is what awards season really is. We missed the Golden Globes because of the writers strike, and that made me sad, because I love the Globes. They’re a little better than the Oscars because unlike the Oscars, at the Globes there is alcohol on every table, which I think just loosens up the actors. And every once in a while, you’ll get someone who is a little tipsy making their acceptance speech; it’s really a treat to hear.
As I sat there, watching movies I didn’t care for getting awards (really, Atonement as the best picture of the year? Were we watching the same thing? I was almost bored to tears!) I thought of my own list of movies I’d give the awards to, and sadly, hardly any of them were even nominated for awards! So, without further ado, I will bestow upon you my list of movies to make the cut (And some categories I’ve invented also):

Best Picture: Juno. I don’t know what it is about this movie, but it was my favorite of the year. I could watch it over and over again, and never get tired of it.
Best Actor: Charlie Cox, Stardust. He’s so endearing and lovely, and his performance is so great.
Best Actress: Ellen Page, Juno. I heart this movie so much, and her acting in it was just fabulous
Best Director: I don’t really understand this category. Surely the best director is the one who directed the best movie. But I could misunderstand that. In either case, I can’t really pick the best.
Best Animated Film: Ratatouille. Not only is the movie so loveable, the actual dish is delicious!

Best Action Sequence: Transformers, the big fight at the end. I don’t care that the movie in itself is kind of ridiculous; I love this movie and all its actiony goodness.
Best Fight: Jason Bourne vs anyone in The Bourne Ultimatum. Nothing is better-or hotter-than Matt Damon fighting people
Best Musical/Romantic Comedy: Enchanted. It can’t be best musical of the year, because I think Hairspray deserves that honor, but I loved this movie, and Amy Adam’s wide-eyed innocence and happiness made me love her just that much more.
Best Musical: Hairspray. These songs get you singing along with them, and the performances by everyone (excluding maybe John Travolta and Christopher Walken) are so great, you just have to love the way they all interact.
And I know this isn't an award, but I want to give a shout out to Waitress. I loved that movie-Keri Russell's acting is just heartbreaking as you watch her character going through things.

I hope you enjoy my list more than the actual Oscar list. And if you haven't seen any of these movies, please, sprint out and rent them. And feel free to add any to my list that I neglected to add or you think deserves the Oscar more than my choice. And everyone, get ready for the Oscars at the end of this month. I'm sure they'll be thrilling!

3 comments:

Chelle! said...

I think you should start writing for the shows that we miss so much. Better yet, why don't you start blogging about all the movies that you watch. I think that it would help all your readers figure out what movie to rent, to buy, or to watch.

Maleen said...

And if you have any of these movies, can I borrow them? I'm not much of a renter, but I do want to see them. How is that for lazy?

PJ said...

I am kind of over awards shows. They don't recognize any of the movies worth seeing. They recognize the boring movies that the critics liked, while us real people are dying.

I am going to agree with almost all your picks, except for Transformers. I think the 300 fighting was way cooler than Transformers.