Friday, February 1, 2008

Get ready to throw down

(Sorry this picture is sorta shady)

Last night, I did something I have never done: Go to a hockey game. Our own Utah Grizzlies vs. the Alaska Aces. I was excited, anticipating the violence that I could witness, and our boys in green didn’t let me down. There were smashes aplenty, some yelling, and one really good fight. Normally I don’t see myself at the hockey arena, but PJ scored us some tickets through her employer. There are so many sporting opportunities I would miss it if not for them, so thanks guys.
We arrived at the arena, and immediately I could feel the excitement radiating from the 30 other people who had shown up for the game. We took our seats (front row baby! Right up in the action!) and waited for the bloodbath to begin. (I truthfully was wishing for someone to bleed. I hear blood bounces on ice; I want to see this happen.) Watching the players warm up, PJ and I were commenting on all the players’ names. That’s a fun game, I think everyone should play. After a delightful rendition of our national anthem, the game started. I will admit, I don’t really know any of the rules of hockey. I know it’s frowned upon to raise your stick above a certain level, what this level is and when it is inappropriate is something I don’t know. I also knew fighting was encouraged, or at least, appreciated by the fans. Other than that, anything goes in my book. We got off to a good start; we seemed to be scoring more than the other team, which is how I understand you win games. It startled me every time they smashed into the glass in front of me, I would totally jump, and once a puck hit the glass right in front of us, and I about jumped out of my skin. During one of the intermissions, (that’s what they call the half-time things, weird), guess who was featured on the Jumbo-Tron dancing? That’s right, Vieve! They were telling people to get up and dance and I was sitting in my chair, shimmying a little, so they put me up there. I felt really cool.
There was one shining moment in the game: a glorious fight. It was between our own Forbes and someone else (hey, I can’t be expected to know names! First game, people!) and it was delightful. I didn’t see what it was that set it off, but all of a sudden; they were taking off their excess sports equipment. Helmets, gloves, throwing down the sticks, et cetera. All of the other players skated off to the side, and they met in the middle of the rink. After a few swipes (this was all closely monitored by the refs. I assume in these cases, they become like refs in boxing; they’re just there to keep it clean) they started to punch each other. It was a pretty good few minutes, watching two men fist-fight over what was probably something stupid, but we all paid (well, not us) for a fight, and by golly, we were going to get one. After the fight was clearly going the way of Forbes, the refs broke it up, sending each player to a penalty box. Well fought, fellas.
After a lot more hockey, the game ended, with a resounding victory: Grizzlies 6, Aces 3!
We win! I don’t know if they usually win, since I don’t follow the world of competitive hockey, but it was a good game for my first one, to have a win. I don’t know that I’ll ever get really into this sport, but now I know if I had to go to a game again, I’ll at least enjoy it!
Man of the Game: Forbes, for starting that kick-ace fight
Loser of the Game: Cheesman, of the Aces, for failing to smile at me twice. I was trying so hard to get him to smile, but oh no, he refused. And its not like I was trying to get him to smile during the action, it was whenever everyone was just standing around! That disappointed me. So, sorry, Cheesman, you lose this game

4 comments:

PJ said...

Queen of the blog: Gabby. This award is for her awesome, and I assume accidental, pun: Kick-ace fight. Way to go, Gabby. You are punny.

Maleen said...

Yay, you have now been to the same number of hockey games I have. Although I didn't get to see any good fighting (perhaps that is why I have only been to one).

Chelle! said...

I did not realize that blood bounces off ice--that would be cool to witness (as long it is not your own blood). Glad that you had a kick-"ace" time!!

Ashley said...

If I were ever to play hockey..which will not happen..I would smile at you. I might even spring for a wink!!