Sunday, March 30, 2008

A tie isn't a loss

Now, I know two posts in one day is just overkill, but I'm kinda wired right now, so I'm doing it. Plus, I have things I need to speak about!
Real had the opening game yesterday, and it was a marvelous occasion. As soon as we got out of the car, and saw all of our fellow fans, hearing the sounds coming from the stadium, I was psyched. It was like no time had passed at all from the last game. Shortly after taking our seats, the game began. (Now, I mostly like to get there a while before opening kick-off, but I wanted to hit up a cupcakery before the game, since we were in the neighborhood already). Real played a really good game. I think their performance was really solid-much more so than it was last year (and probably many years prior). Our passes were solid, our shots were very close, we just were in the groove. Sissy Blanco spent most of the time on the ground, but thats what we expected. What an idiot that Blanco is. We dominated the game-held onto possession of the ball way more than Chicago did, our goals just weren't finishing. In the 71st minute, we got a goal, helped by the other team. Kovalenko crossed the ball into the box, and Chicago's defense kicked the ball into their own goal instead of kicking it out of play. Bad for them, but oh so good to us. We held onto that one point lead the rest of the game. Unfortunately, (and this is something I sometimes hate about my beloved sport, more on that later) we had 4 minutes of overage time. (Like in basketball, they stop the clock when there's a sub, or injury, we don't in soccer, we just tack that extra time onto the end of the half) Two minutes into the overage, Chicago scored. Of course, it was by Blanco (you can't let him have the ball anywhere near the goal! He always makes it, dang it!) and it just went straight in. There was nothing Nick Rimando (our fantastic goalie) could to do stop it. And with only two minutes left, we played our hardest, but we ended in a tie.
Now, this isn't a bad thing. It's very unfortunate we didn't get the win, but we didn't lose. I was expected us to lose, so this is better than I was expecting. Now I really think we have a shot this year of being good, a real contender, at least to make it farther than we did last year. And we can only get better. The first game is always the one you see how you can improve. And the thing I super hated about this game was our referee. I don't know what the heck was wrong with him, but he was the worst! He randomly kept giving yellow cards to our team, (I honestly have no idea why he was handing those out most of the time!) and to the other team, he gave nothing. Espindola (one of our guys) got KICKED in the FACE by a Chicago guy, and nothing. Findley challenges Chicago's goalie, and he gets a yellow card. There was definitely something going on with that ref, he must have been a Blanco fan.
I hate the overage time sometimes. When we have a lead, I don't want to have any more time, because (like we saw in this game,) the other team has a chance to score and either even things up or win. But, on the flip side, when we're down, I like that extra time to give us a chance to possible score. And the more time there is, the worst it is! You're on the edge of your seat, willing time to go by faster or slower, and hoping the team pulls it all together in those few minutes!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I am glad your Soccer season has started. You have been so phyched for it. It does sound like the ref was a being a complete bonehead.

PJ said...

There was a picture of Espindola being kicked in the face in the Deseret News. How is that not a card?!

No more days! I don't think the game this weekend is on TV. The Reserves schedule has been posted, check it out. There are only six games here and the first one is in May.