Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Once Upon a Time...


Tonight, as I was running (which I did tonight with no problems! Best day ever!) I was watching the Broadway version (is there another version? I don't know) of Into the Woods. I love this musical! I know all the songs, and I love to sing along with it. Which, believe me, is really hard to do as you're running on a treadmill. I do not recommend trying it. As I was watching, I was thinking about how I just love musicals. Newsies, Hairspray, Evita, (I only recently watched it, and I can't get the songs out of my head) Singing in the Rain, Wicked, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Moulin Rouge, Chicago, High School Musical, the list goes on and on, and there's no way I could list all the ones I love. It would simply take too long. I love how I can be having a down sort of day, and I just have to listen to a few lines of any of these, and I can be perked up and singing in no time. And one of my special talents (of which there are few) is I can mimic pretty much anyone in song, so after a few times of listening to a CD, I sound very similar, if not exactly like, the CD does. I should take this act on the road! But how popular can a mimic really be? Having a show in Vegas? No thanks. It used to be one of my dreams to sing on Broadway, one that has sadly passed. Because I realized what that all entails, and there's no way I could handle it. I almost passed out singing in front of my company a few years ago. Eech.
I think the thing I really love about these is the fantasy. I fully believe that life could be a musical. I would love nothing more to be walking down the halls at work, and suddenly break into song, and have people popping out of cubicles to join me. I would love to be in a store, singing about the clothes, and the sales people sing as well. I don't know why I think it'd be so cool, but I do. To meet your true love, and know he's the one for you because your duet is perfect. To get out of any tough situation, start singing, and it'll lessen the tension. Especially at work, if you're in a meeting that isn't going well, just start singing. What are they going to do, fire you? "She was singing, sir! What else was I supposed to do?" Believe me, you'll be fine. And maybe you'd get a fan! And if these movies are to be believed, (which I assume every movie is meant to be believed. Otherwise, why would they make them?) you just need a really good ballad to get over anything. And then to sing when you get back with your boyfriend/friend? Man...reunited, and it feels so good.
I don't know that things could ever reach a place where we could all sing, but I'd sure love it if we could. If we can get a man on the moon (and I'm not saying this happened...) then surely, singing around the world is a possible dream. But until this happens, I think everyone should take matters into their own hands, and sing when you can. And if you get the chance, watch Into the Woods. One of the best musicals there is!

4 comments:

PJ said...

My only problem with musicals is that often a dance number completely stops the plot of the movie (see Oklahoma). I genuinely love musicals, but sometimes I just wish we were moving along. Annie Get Your Gun, Meet Me in St. Louis, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Singin' in the Rain, etc.

Maleen said...

I am a real fan of musicals (although Into the Woods is a bit long isn't it?). I'm not sure about everyone breaking into song, but I could totally go with a good company dance number every now and then. The office would be great for dancing on and off the desks.
For the record, even though Giselle finished the Prince's duet, she didn't marry him...so singing can't solve everything.

Unknown said...

While "Into The Woods" is a personal favorite (sad part when Joanna Gleason dies), for all time musical campiness, you just can't beat 1776. I still can't picture Ben Franklin breaking into song and dance while working on the Declaration of Independence. I never miss this one. (And even bought a copy)

Chelle! said...

I love musicals!!! Watching you at work everyday is kind of like a musical--I am not sure which one...but, I will think of it and get back to you later....