Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Its just a bit of Hocus Pocus...


Recently, I have acquired a new computer. And by this I mean Papa Bear got a new computer and I got his old one, to take the place of my computer, which, believe me, is an upgrade. My computer was the shadiest thing ever. I think I bought it in 2002-but I can’t be sure. So we took my computer and put it in the basement as the server computer. Again, an upgrade. Our old server computer was so old to move the mouse around the screen took a while. I will not miss it. When we moved my computer out, I decided to check all the files and folders on it, just in case I had left something scandalous on it. (Good news, I hadn’t) Going through the files, I noticed a childhood game on there, Hocus Pocus. I don’t know that many people have heard of this game, but I adore it! The game is essentially about a little wizard (you) who needs to fight the forces of evil, collect all the magic crystals, and defeat the evil wizard in a final battle. I definitely put the emphasis on little with who you’re playing. He’s so tiny, and he wears this little robe and cap, to let you know you’re a wizard. You have to go through several worlds and different levels, there’s treasure everywhere, and you get bonus points for getting all the treasure in a level. Then you get bonus points if you finish a level before the time they have allotted for you. Nothing bad happens if you go over; you just don’t get the satisfaction of being quick. Of course you have little creatures you’re fighting along the way, and in this game, they vary from level to level, getting harder to kill as the levels increase in difficulty. It starts off with little alligators (who walk on 2 legs) shooting fire at you to little men who throw spears at you. Every time you get hit by one of these guys, you’re health goes down, and you have to find the special bottles of potion to get you back to 100%.
This game is pretty easy. I don’t remember at what I age I started playing it, but it’s been a really long time since I have played it. As with all my games, I quickly learned the cheat codes to this game to ensure I would be the best. These were very helpful when fighting the wizard at the end. I don’t care that I cheat to win in these games. If they weren’t meant to be cheated, nobody would have invented these codes, and we’d all play it slowly. After I found the game on my computer, I played a quick round, to see if it was just how I remembered it, and it is! I fell quickly back into it, knowing all the secret places, and the best way to avoid my nemeses. I only played one level, because of time constraints, but I am excited to go back and play again. Now that I’ve found it, I just want to keep going, see if I can get to the end again, or if it’ll escape me. Seeing this game has brought back to mind my old games we used to play. Monster Bash was a favorite-you had to free cats and dogs that some zombies or something had captured, all while avoiding them. Wow, that sounds dumb now that I’m remembering it, but it was so awesome! And I don’t remember the name of this other one, but it was a math learning game. You chose a person, (a boy or a girl) and then you went through different levels of math-ness. They would give you a question (for example, 9x3) and you had to locate the number someplace. And you had to avoid the little number-stealers, or else you’d have to redo one! And sometimes, to be scandalous, I would be the little boy character instead of the girl. I know, I’m a wild one. But remember, I was like 7, and to me, back then, oh man; I was hilarious for doing that. I can’t wait to play again, and defeat the bad guys, to hear my little wiz yell “woo hoo” and the end like he always did. That always made me so happy!

3 comments:

Maleen said...

See, I remember games like Jumpman (on the Commodore 64) and Dig Dug. In school we played Number Munchers. These are games you probably don't even know, but if you haven't heard of the Oregon Trail, you're in real trouble (or I am maybe).

PJ said...

I used to play Number Munchers in school! I also used to play Bruce Lee on our Atari, which was my favorite game. Jenna was always Bruce Lee, or rather the blurry image that passed as Bruce Lee in those days, and I was the sumo wrestler who assists Bruce Lee. You have to punch the lights and not get hit by the ninja guys. The funny thing is, when we were little, we didn't know what a sumo wrestler was, and the one in this game is blue, so we called him "fat blue lady" because his hair was in a bun. I love that game. 24 days until soccer season starts.

Chelle! said...

My all time favorite is Ms. Pacman. I was GREAT at it--but that is the only one that I knew how to play. Have you decided to move out away from those scarey critters??