Sunday, March 23, 2008

If I was speeding, how was I supposed to read the sign?

I attract policemen. I don't mean in the good way, you know, with maybe an attractive police officer asking me out, that would be ok, I'd be happy with that. No, I'm talking about getting pulled over. I must have a magnet in my car for these peoples to find me, because believe you me, they find me. The most recent infraction happened just today, and I felt I had to share.
I got my first speeding ticket when I was 17. I remember, I was on the way to a boyfriends house, and I had his little sister in the car, and not half an hour earlier, I had said (rather smugly) that I have yet to be pulled over. Bad move. In December of 2001, I got pulled over for going 44 in a 25, on 1600 north in Orem. Whoops. But I went to traffic school, and it was wiped from my record. I got the next one 8 months later, in August of 2002, on 820 north in Provo. Again, I was going 44 in a 25. But, I could go to traffic school in Provo, and again the slate was clean. I got the next one 6 months later, in February 2003, on 400 north in Orem. 44 in a 25, which I believe is now my signature move. Because it was in Orem and had been a year since my Orem ticket, I could go to traffic school again, and was, again, totally clean. The next I had was in June 2003, in Provo, on University Parkway. I was going 65 in a 50. Because it hadn't quite been a year, I wasn't eligible for traffic school, so I went to the traffic judge and argued my case, and she let me go to traffic school, I just had to report back to her after I had done it to finish my case up completely. (Side note, I forgot to do this, and about a year later, had a warrant out for my arrest. They sent me a letter informing me of this. I took care of it though, I'm legit now). Then, I had a big space where I didn't get anything anymore, and I thought, my luck, it has changed! I can drive however I want!
Oh, how things can change. In October 2007, I was pulled over in Spanish Fork, on Hwy 6. I was doing 65 in a 50. (All my speedings are the same!) I tried my hardest to get out of that one, but oh man, no dice. Luckily, since it was Spanish Fork, I could go to traffic school, and my record was spotless once more. In November 2007, the family and I were driving back from my brothers wedding in California. Since dad had driven a good portion, we switched in St George, and I took over. In Beaver, Utah, I was pulled over for going 89 in a 75. I was devastated that this could happen to me all the way down there. And sadly, traffic school wasn't an option, so I had to pay the fine, and my record finally had a blemish on it, I couldn't believe it.
On Friday night, I met up with PJ at the local Wingers. After dinner, we made a snap decision to go to Zion's this weekend. (Please see PJ's blog for the fun times we had. I was going to blog about it, but decided instead to talk of this. Plus, her description is probably better than mine would be.) Because we had met there, and we only needed one car to travel together, we left my car there, with the intention of picking it up the next day. Well, the next day rolled around, and we ran out of time to get it. Finally, on Sunday night, I remembered, quite suddenly, that I still hadn't gotten my car, and I probably should get it, since I need it to travel to work in the morning. Dad so graciously took me to pick it up. Upon getting to my car, I saw something on the window. Thinking it to be an advertisement, I just snatched it off, and got into the car. Then I read it, and I got a parking citation from the Provo Towne Center security people. I don't have to do anything, I don't think, to me it reads more like an FYI, like, 'hey, you shouldn't be here overnight, just letting you know'. But I'm sure whoever wrote it felt like a real policeman while he did so. And you know what? Good for him. I know its not the same, this infraction, as getting a real ticket, but it just seems to me, I am always unlucky. So anytime you see somebody getting pulled over, steal a glance at who it is, because its probably me.

3 comments:

Chelle! said...

AW...you forgot NERTZ!!! Glad you had a fabulous time--not with the speeding ticket, but with your trip.

PJ said...

Too fast!

Maleen said...

Amazing that you can keep your record clean for so long. That's amazing. Sorry you attract police, but I hear if you drive the speed limit, that usually goes away :)