Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Oreo Cupcakes

We celebrated the July birthdays at work, and we decided to go the easy way of having cupcakes and ice cream. I volunteered to make the cupcakes, because of course I would. So I looked at my Pinterest boards, to see what kind of cupcakes I’ve been pinning, and I found a good one – Oreo Cupcakes. I was jazzed to try this new recipe out. When I got home from work, and was checking on my ingredient list, Husband told me an old friend of his was coming for dinner, which meant my time in the kitchen making cupcakes would be shorter, so to compromise, I just used a store bought vanilla cake mix to make my cupcakes, and then I’d make the recipe for frosting the girl gives.

So, I made my cupcakes, which were pretty good looking. I split the Oreos in half, and put one cookie on the bottom of the cupcake paper, and then but the batter in, and then baked it. Here’s what that looked like before I baked them:

IMG_5688

Then I started making the frosting. Here’s the frosting recipe the website has:

8 Tbs butter
½ cup shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
6 Tbs Oreo cookies, finely crushed

Now, do you see anything missing from this recipe? A wet ingredient, perhaps? I realized that as I was creaming the butter, that she didn’t give any indication of milk to be used. Does she just assume we’d add it ourselves? So, I did some guess work with the milk, adding a few tablespoons here, and then waiting, and so on and so forth. Then I added the crushed Oreos, and since I don’t have a food processor, mine were crushed by hand, and they were not that fine, which I guess is my own fault. Because of the chunks of Oreo cookies, I couldn’t get the frosting to pipe onto the cupcakes, no matter what I tried, so finally, I gave up, and just sort of slabbed the frosting onto the cupcakes, and they looked pretty awful. Here’s what the final product is:

IMG_5690

So, I did try the cupcakes at this point, and while they did taste good, I’m so disappointed at how they look. Plus, I accidentally broke one of my frosting tips, trying to finagle the cookies out of there. So while I would make this recipe again, I think that I’d have to find a way to FINELY chop up my cookies.

No comments: