Sunday, October 27, 2013

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes

Today, I wanted to make a treat, specifically, cupcakes. I had wanted cupcakes last night, but was too lazy to get up and go by the time I wanted one, at 10:00 PM, so I didn’t worry about it, and then this morning, I watched Cupcake Wars, so my craving for them was high. After looking through my recipes, I found one that I wanted to make, Snickerdoodle cupcakes. They were pretty easy to make, so that was nice. Of course, I had just pulled the cooked cupcakes out of the oven, and was making the frosting, when I realized that I had forgotten to add the vanilla to the batter. Ooooops. But I think it evened out, because the frosting is pretty sweet (A buttercream cinnamon frosting) so it evens out. Anyway, in case you want the recipe:

3 cups flour (she wanted to have it be 1 ½ regular flour, and 1 ½ cup cake flour, but I don’t have cake flour)
1 TB baking powder
1/2 Tsp salt
1 TB ground cinnamon
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 Tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Sift together the flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy and pale in color. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down side of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla (guess I just straight up missed that, what the heck?). Reduce speed to low, and add in flour mixture, slowly. Add in milk and beat until combined. Divide the batter between the cups, filling each three-quarters of the way full. Bake about 20 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Wait to frost them until they’re cool.

For the frosting,

1 cup butter, room temperature
3 3/4 cup powdered sugar
3-4 TB milk
2 Tsp vanilla extract
1 Tsp cinnamon

With mixer on low speed, blend butter until fluffy, about 30 seconds. Add sugar, 3 tablespoons of milk and the vanilla extract (this is when I realized this was the first time I used the vanilla), blend lightly. Add the cinnamon and continue mixing until sugar is incorporated. Increase speed and beat until fluffy. If the frosting is stiff, add the remaining tablespoon of milk.

So, that’s it.

Snickers
They were easy, and they did end up being really good, but now I want to make them again, remember to add the vanilla, and see how much of a difference it makes. And I don’t really like the frosting tip I used here, it was my first time. At least that’s something I’m learning with all this frosting I’m doing.

No comments: