Sunday, October 20, 2013

Crockpot Orange Chicken

Sunday again, which means making something in the ol’ crockpot. I found this recipe a few days ago on Pinterest, of course, and after I looked through it, I decided to change it right up. It’s for Orange Chicken. See, the recipe has you combine the ingredients for the sauce, then cook the chicken, and in the last 30 minutes of baking, then you put the sauce in there, so that your food has a slight flavor, I guess? I don’t exactly know. So I made it my own. I started with these ingredients only:

Orange Chicken

Just like the recipe calls for. But after putting the chicken in the pot, I just put the sauce right on, to make it really orangey. So you put your chicken in the bottom of the crockpot, and combine 3/4 cup orange marmalade and 3/4 cup of the BBQ sauce, and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Stir well to combine, and put them on top of the chicken. The recipe called for letting the chicken cook for 4-6 hours on low, but I accidentally got started way too late, so I cooked it for 2 hours on high. Then I removed the chicken, let it cool down a bit, cut the chicken into pieces, dipped them in egg and then a flour/cornstarch mixture, and fried them for a minute to make them breaded. Then I returned them to the crockpot, the setting warm, so they could soak in some sauce. I wish I had had my wits about me to take pictures of everything, but I was trying to also make some lo mein, and some fried rice, I accidentally had WAY too many things going on to take them, and I regret that.

But! The end product was good, I really liked it. I’m sure it’s also good the original way, but in my head, Orange Chicken is a breaded chicken, so I wanted to make that change. This recipe was also ridiculously easy, in case anyone needs to make some good food with minimal effort.

No comments: