Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Lovely Day for a 5K

Today was a race day. It’s only a 5k, so I really didn’t prepare for it all that much, and I think that might have bitten me in the bum during the run. The race was put on by a local high school – the school that my sisters-in-law attend. They wanted to do an event for our family, to raise some money for a charity, in our name. So, they threw this together, and we showed up to run. The weather this Saturday, for those that weren’t outside, was FREEZING. I had on my running tights, my Under Armor shirt, and I was so cold still. I waited around for about a half hour, and then the race began.

My feet were numb. For the first mile, they were numb. I think it’s because I was standing in the freezing frost-ridden grass, but they hurt when I pounded the pavement with them. My hands were like ice, and the air was so cold, it hurt to breathe in. I struggled in this race, with the elements, but I tried my hardest, and ended up finishing 41 overall. Before we get too excited – there were less than 200 people, and I think that over 100 of them walked, so it’s not like I did really excellent. I finished first in my age group, but I think that those in my age group were only the members of the family, who walked, so it’s not all that impressive. But it’s still pretty cool. After I finished, and did my cool down walk, and my chest HURT. It hurt to breathe, it hurt to do nothing. I breathed into my hands, so that I was breathing in warm air, and after a while, that helped and the pain stopped. I asked someone to take my picture after I was done:

VieveRace

And then after the race, the whole family found each other, for a quick picture before we retreated to the warmth of our cars:

FamilyRace

It was a fun race, and a really cool thing for the school to do for us. And I’m glad I got to experience a 5k in this weather – I’ve never done one before and now I know I never want to do one again.

No comments: