Sunday, October 13, 2013

Chicken Taco Chili

I’ve decided to eat more meals at home. We eat out way too much, and I have had enough, so I went through all my recipes, found some good ones, and bought the ingredients for them, staple ingredients, that I know can hang out in the cupboard and not spoil until we make them, since I swear we seem to throw away a lot of food because we can’t get to it in time before it spoils. So today, in the first of many days of eating at home, I made Taco Chicken Chili. And it was delicious. The recipe, if you’re so inclined:

1 onion, chopped
1 16-oz can black beans, with juices
1 16-oz can kidney beans, with juices
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1 16-oz can corn
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes with chilies
1 packet taco seasoning
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Shredded cheddar cheese

Combine beans, onion, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for six hours. Half an hour before serving, shred chicken and return to slow cooker for another 30 minutes. Serve alone, like a chili, or on top of rice if so desired, serve with shredded cheese on top.

So for once, I followed the recipe almost to a T, I only added in some green peppers, because I think those make any meal better. It was really good – but be warned of the times for cooking. In my crockpot, I put it on low for about 4 hours and it was done, and I even started with frozen chicken, so just pay attention to the soup is what I’m saying. But other than that, delicious!

Chili

(PS this chili here has some cornbread on top – it doesn’t look like that 100%)

No comments: