Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sunday Stroll

Tonight, in the midst of crafty times (expect a blog on this later!) I felt like I needed to get up and take a walk. I've been working on this since I got home from church at noon, with the exception of a 2 hour break for a family dinner. So I needed to stretch my legs, pretty much. So I put on my walking shoes (flip flops) and left the house at like, 9:00. As I was walking out the door, Husband's like, don't go by yourself, you'll get kidnapped! And I said my standard reply to this, which is "Yeah, because some guy is just waiting around our neighborhood waiting for a white woman to walk around alone". Because, come on, that's not happening.
So, I get going, and walking around, and then I remember that every time, without fail, even though I'm totally tough in my house before I leave, once I'm out walking in the dark, then I really am like, "There's probably some guy walking around our neighborhood waiting for a white woman to walk around alone!" and I'm distrustful of everyone and shadows make me nervous. At one point, I was walking by the house where an emu lives (yes, there's a house that has an emu as a pet. Is that the weirdest?) and its pitch black, of course, and then, the emu, who was previously in a ball on the grass, decides to get up and look at me as I pass. And of course, my heart JUMPS out of itself, thinking that the bird is firstly a serial killer getting me, and then I think, what if it jumps out of the fence and kills me?! Because you know, that's totally going to happen.
On the plus side, I did make it home just fine, nobody attacked me, and I lived. This will probably not be my last solo night walk, and that's ok. I like these walks, especially because will all the frights I imagine, it gives my heart a nice workout too!

1 comment:

Maleen said...

Emu huh?

You don't run alone, do you? I used to, but my running buddy is strictly against it. She is rubbing off on me.