Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Lemon Crinkle...Bars

Last night, I tried a new treat. Well…sorta. I was trying the crinkle cookies recipe, but instead of the chocolate and red velvet used in the past, I tried lemon cake today. And did it work, you wonder? No, no it didn’t. There was something about the mix, it was very similar to the red velvet stuff in that it was way too sticky. I tried to add some flour, to make it a little thicker and easier to roll into balls, but that wasn’t working, either. So instead of making cookies, I just dumped the rest of the mix into an 8x8 pan, and made them as sort of lemon bars. I put some powdered sugar in the bottom of the pan before I put in the “dough” and then, sprinkled a healthy amount on top before putting it in the oven. And it worked, too. Here’s a pic of them before baking:


Yes, that picture was taken in the oven. I put it in the oven, and after it had been in there for a minute or something, I realized I meant to take a picture, so I just opened it up and took it. I had no idea about how long to bake these for. I guessed 15, then it seemed like it was done, so I added 6 more minutes. Then 3 more. Then 2 more. Finally, the inserted toothpick seemed pretty clean, so I just took them out, and even though the top was a little more browned than I’d like, it still works.



I tried a little when they came out of the oven, and they weren’t gross! So I waited for them to cool, cut them into the pieces, and called them good. I’ve had one today, and they are pretty tasty. Thank goodness they ended up working as these lemon bars, otherwise, I’d have hated throwing away the whole cake mix and all. At least it worked for something!

1 comment:

Chelle! said...

Ok...these were crazy delicious. Did you see the recipe on pinterest? They have Lemon Crinkle cookies...I wonder if they added something to the recipe. Anyway...these were simply delicious.