Sunday, September 23, 2012

Teriyaki Chicken

Normally, Sunday dinner in our house is something super easy. Weird, right? You’d think that because we have no work, or anything to do, that we’d do a big dinner, something elaborate and delicious. Unfortunately, that’s never what happens. Usually, I come home from church after noon, change out of my church clothes (that’s right, I don’t stay in them.) and then eat a biggish lunch, since usually, I’ve not eaten breakfast, and so far for the day, I’ve only eaten the gummy bears and chocolate covered peanuts in my church bag. So then, I enjoy a big meal at like, one, and then, I just don’t think about food (sometimes I have some snacks during the day) and then it turns like, 7 or 8, and I' think, holy we need to eat something! And quickly throw together something to eat, but today, it changed.

I had a lot of time today, with there being no church yet again. So I found this recipe on Pinterest yesterday, and I wanted to make it. So at about noon, I started getting it ready, and at noon-thirty, I had it in the crockpot, ready to cook. The recipe goes as follows:

Teriyaki Chicken:

4 Frozen Chicken breasts
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1 can pineapple chunks, drain half of the juice out
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes

Spray the crock pot with nonstick cooking spray and add chicken breasts. Pour soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and pineapple chunks (with the juice) over the chicken. Sprinkle as many red pepper flakes on top as desired. Cook on high for 4-6 hours. Shred chicken in the crock pot with 2 forks, and serve over rice.

Now, that’s how they do it. Let me tell you of my additions and changes. I used an extra chicken. There was 5 in the package I got, so I just threw it in there too, so it wasn’t just going to be by itself later. It didn’t take away from any of the juice, or anything, I didn’t think. Also, I read in the comments of the blog I took it off of that they chicken and sauce was way too salty, so I used low sodium soy sauce and teriyaki sauce. I also added a bell pepper, and half of an onion, because I thought they’d be a nice addition. I didn’t shred the chicken in the pot, I took it out onto a plate, shredded it there, and then let it cook for another 10 minutes or so, so it could be all soaked in the juice again. All in all, it took about 4 hours to cook, because it was all done by 4:10. And now, the taste….

IT WAS DELICIOUS! Honestly, it was so good. I recommend the heck out of this to anyone. I took a picture, of course, of it after I shredded:

 

Chicken

Yum!

1 comment:

Chelle! said...

Ok...I need to try this recipe. It sounds simply divine. I love all of your recipe posts. Maybe...just maybe you should create a recipe book to share with your friends...especially me.