Saturday, August 4, 2012

Colorado: Day 1

This year, our (mine and PJ’s) yearly trip to Colorado came a little early. Usually, RSL plays Colorado in October, so we go then. This time, the beginning of August. Weird, right? So we got to plan all sorts of different activities, since it was going to be warm, not a freezing-cold-lets-stay-in-the-hotel-all-day kind of trip. We flew out of Provo, which I really love. That airport is tiny! I like how easy it is to go through security there. So, we get into Colorado, and immediately picked up our rental car:

IMG_2416

A Fiat! I’ve never even driven one of these, and I gotta say, I’m not that impressed with it. We stopped for breakfast at a place called Snooze, here’s my breakfast:

IMG_2417

The one on the left is a pineapple upside down pancake, the middle is a donut pancake, and the right is a carrot cake pancake with cream cheese frosting. SO GOOD. Then, up to the top of Mount Evans – the highest paved road in North America. Here’s a pic from the top:

IMG_2422

It was so nice up there. It was cold though, so I’m glad that we remembered to bring our jackets.

IMG_2467

Here’s us at the top, thank you random stranger for taking our picture for us. We returned the favor, and took a pic of him and his son. On the way down, we ran into a giant group of these, and tried to get close to take a pic. Here’s an action shot:IMG_2439

There were so many mountain goats, it was awesome. Then we made the trip all the way down the mountain, and our car pinged, telling me it was overheating. I pull over, and hung out by the side of the road for 5 minutes, then got back in. When we were farther down the mountain, it pinged again. So we parked, and walked up and down Main Street, Idaho Springs. Fancy! It was like a mini Park City, full of expensive places, but with a mountainy look. We ate at this hole in the wall restaurant, but it was delicious. I had the meatloaf.

By the end of dinner and a gelato, the car was fine. After finding the hotel, we crashed. A pretty good first day, I’d say.

1 comment:

Maleen said...

Loved your vacation recaps. I miss going out with my girlfriends and having no schedules. Just the freedom to go and do.