Saturday, August 11, 2012

A Medal, A Medal

Well kids, today was the Lindon City Days Dash yet again. This was my third year of running it. I love this race, because it’s so small that it’s not crazy, there aren’t a billion people here, and generally, the atmosphere seems so chill. PJ & I showed up at the right time (take that, Freedom Run!) and just hung out until the race started.

It started, and I won’t lie, I struggled. I thought I could do this with  no problems, but apparently, by body just wanted to quit. I did the first mile ok, but then, I seemed to start to shut down. I tried to keep my pace, and run, but people kept passing me. As people (Ok, the women) were passing me, I tried to gauge their age as they were by me. I’ve won first place in my age group (25-29) for the last two years that I’ve run this race, and I wanted to keep it going. So, the few women that passed me, I judged that they were older than I. I kept going, and then, when I was about a half a mile from the end, another passed me. As she did so, I looked over and I thought, for sure, that she was my age. I then tried my hardest to stay with her, and I did pretty good. As we rounded the last corner before the finish line, I tried to surge ahead. Which worked for about, oh, 1 minute, before my body was like, ‘yeah, nice try’ and then I slowed down a touch. She super passed me, and ended up beating me by about 20 seconds. So I finish, turn in my tag, and wait around, for PJ, then we stretch, etc.

As we were doing a cool down walk-around the parking lot, we see the race organizers putting all the race tags onto pieces of paper. I scootched closer, and see that the “Womens 25-29” is still empty – they hadn’t filled it yet! So, I just sort of…hung out until they put a tag on there. I would walk around, sneak a peek, and continue walking, until I saw them put a tag on there, then I leeeeeaned in to get a look at it, and…IT WAS ME! I screamed a little and did a dance of joy as I walked away from the table so that they wouldn’t know I had seen. (I don’t know if it was legal for me to peek!) Then, they were giving away the awards, and ta-daaa I got a medal! Here’s me, putting it on:

PuttingonMedal

And here’s me holding my prize. Addition to the medal, I got 2 day passes to Lindon City Pool! I have since lost these. I remember myself putting them in to my car, but now I can’t find them. I’m still looking.

VieveMedal 

Oh! Also, PJ was the second fastest in our age group! I thought that was pretty cool, we are champs. I wish she had gotten a medal too. Anyway, after we waited for the rest of the “ceremony”, we left, and took this picture on the way to the car.

LindonDash

What a fun day, and a fun race, even though my body was rejecting the very notion of running.

1 comment:

Maleen said...

So fun. And way to go, getting a medal. I never even know where the good races are. You need to hook me up. And don't worry. We aren't in the same age category. ;)

And I wouldn't beat you anyway.