Sunday, August 26, 2012

An Injury

Summer is nearing the end. I know kids are already back in school, so I realized that soon, the weather will not be warm, so I need to take advantage while I can. It was decided that today would be a hike – the river hike, which I’ve blogged of before. The weather was a little chilly as we were hiking up to the river – rain was sprinkling, the sun had gone away a little, so it was a little foreboding. As we were on the way up I thought, maybe we shouldn’t be doing this, but I still went anyway.

I think I should have stayed home. The river was a little fuller than last time, which is fine, but for some reason, I was extra clumsy today. As we were fording up the river, my foot slipped on a rock, and my knee and I decided to go different ways. Holy cow did that hurt, so we paused. As we were sitting there, and I was soaking my knee in the river (I thought the cold would keep some of the swelling down) PJ snapped a pic of me, I tried to look like I wasn’t in pain:

Vieve-River

After a few minutes we got going again, and I was just limping a little bit. We got to the top, saw the waterfall, had a snack and some water, We got going back down, and when we were oh, about 5-10 minutes from completing the hike, I fell again – and hard. I slammed my broken knee yet again, and I was like, man I’m done for. I’ve had enough now. Here’s my knee in this moment:

Knee-1

Ouch, right? But I still had to finish, so I limped so hard back down the mountain and to the car. At some point, PJ stopped us to take a picture of the mountain, and I took the chance to just sit for a second, and revel in the pain my leg was in. Unbeknownst to me, PJ snapped a pic then. I feel so sad looking at it.

Vieve-Tired

So then we made it to the car, and I took another pic of my knee, in case it changed:

Knee-2

It feels pretty bad. So, I just had to limp around for the day, I put some ice on it, and generally took it easy. Today, its not too bad, just a little painful. I took another pic, because I am documenting the heck out of this.

Knee-3

So, there it is. My leg. Its not broken, but sometimes it feels like it is. And of course, after church, I was sitting at the table, moved to get out, and knocked my knee on the leg, and then I wanted to die. But at least I got to have one last hike of the year!

2 comments:

Maleen said...

Ouch, and ouch!

Chelle! said...

This looks horrible! I am sorry that your hike was not very fun. I am sure that I would have been crying the whole time.