Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Woes of My Toes

Today I went to the foot doctor, and had many things done. First of all, we all remember when I broke my toe back in January, and I never went to a doc for it. They can’t do anything, so I didn’t see a point in even trying to fix it. The bruising went away, it stopped hurting so much, and all I had left was a bump on my foot, and a pain when I tried to bend my toe. Finally, I was going to the foot doctor for another issue, so I thought I’d see what they said about my toe. The doc saw the toe, and immediately knew what it was, but wanted some X-Rays to make sure. After getting those, he told me what the problem was. You know how you take a hammer, and you hit it really hard into a piece of wood, and it makes a big dent, with a few spidery cracks around it? Apparently, that’s what happened to my toe – it’s dented. Sheesh! So now there’s scar tissue there, and that’s what the bump is. So he’s given me some creams, and I get to rub those in, and then wear what I’m calling a toe sleeve:

ToeSleeve

Which is just a small compression band, that hopefully, with the help of the creams, will dissolve/get rid of the scar tissue. If that doesn’t work, I’m supposed to get cortisone/steroid shots, which I don’t want to get. So lets all cross my fingers that this will work.

The whole reason for my going was to ask the doc about my arches, which always hurt. He decided orthotics were a good idea, and I got fitted right away for my custom ones.

Plaster

I can’t wait to see how these turn out. Of course, this sadly means I won’t be able to wear flip flops anymore, and that makes me sad. But on the positive side, now I can go buy some new shoes, to wear with my new orthotics!

No comments: