Monday, May 5, 2014

Day 32–Mint Oreo Cupcakes

Yesterday I made cupcakes for a family dinner. Saturday night, I made the cupcake itself, just a regular chocolate cake, and figured I’d dress it up with the frosting. It took me all of church to think of what to do, and then decided a Mint Oreo Cupcake would be a good idea. I came home, and got started. As I was creaming together my cream cheese and butter, I realized, I didn’t have enough powdered sugar in the house! I only had a cup! Luckily, one of my old scouts happened to stop by right then, so he went to his house and grabbed me a bag of powdered sugar. He was the hero of the day. Here’s what it looked like:

MintOreoCupcake

And here’s the recipe, in case you want to make it yourself. (Just of the frosting, the cake is regular chocolate cake)

1/2 C butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese
1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1 Tbsp milk
3-4 C powdered sugar
Green food dye
6 Mint or Regular Oreos, finely crushed (super finely crushed, so it can’t get stuck in your frosting tip)

Beat butter and cream cheese for 2 minutes. Add peppermint extract, milk and slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. I added about 4 cups, I probably could have added more, though. Keep an eye on it. Add green dye one drop at a time until you like the color. (I tried to remember how many drops I did, but oh man I just forgot.) Stir in your crushed Oreos, but don't over mix or else it will start to turn the frosting grey. What I did here, was I started to mix it in with my mixer, but it was turning gray immediately, so I just unhooked the mixer, and mixed in the Oreos by hand, with a spatula, so you can just do that if you feel like it. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with an Oreo for decoration, if you like.

Then I tried the cupcakes, and I really dug the frosting. I totally recommend this.

No comments: