Sunday, September 1, 2013

Zucchini Brownies

It’s that special time of year again, when those who have gardens have loads and loads of zucchini and squash to give to everyone they know. As I was visit-teaching the other day, I was given a really large zucchini by the gal we visited, and I wasn’t sure what to do with it. I know, there are many ways of using one, but I never know what to do with them. I decided to finally utilize some of the zucchini recipes I’ve been accumulating on Pinterest, and make some zucchini brownies. This is my recipe:

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup chopped walnuts – optional

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking pan. In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt, stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in the zucchini and walnuts. Spread evenly into the pan, bake for 25-30 minutes, or until brownies spring back when gently touched. While that’s cooling, make the frosting:

6 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

To make the frosting, melt together the butter and cocoa powder; set aside to cool. In a bowl, blend together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies and cut into squares.

Ok, so, here’s the skinny: This is a delightfully easy recipe. In case you wonder, after you shred your zucchini, keep the juice that comes with it, you’ll need the liquid for your brownies. The batter freaked me right out, it was so glumpy from having all the zucchini in there, and I thought I had messed up.

BrownieBatter

Luckily, this wasn’t the case. I got them cooked, got them frosted, and HOLY COW these are really good. They don’t really taste like brownies, just FYI, they taste kind of like a Hostess cupcake. They’re more cake than brownie, but that’s ok. They are really good.

BrownieCut

I recommend this recipe, you guys. It’s awesome.

No comments: