Friday, September 13, 2013

Germany: Day 2 Part 2

After finishing up with the museum, we had only had time to get to a chocolate shop in town to get chocolates, and then we had to get back to the hotel so that Husband could have another meeting. While he had his meeting, I was all set to spend those 2 hours getting ready for the gala, and then I sort of lost track of time…while I was looking at Pinterest, oops. Finally, I got my butt into gear with about an hour to go. I hurried and did my hair, curled it all up. It looked really cute for about 15 minutes, I think, and then it started to fall, even though I had used my super-duper extra hold hairspray. Finally, when there was like, twenty minutes to go, Husband finally came back to the room, and was a flurry as we both hurried to get ready. I pulled on my Spanx (honestly, these are the devil. Has everyone worn these? They are awful.) and got my dress on, added the jewels, and I was done. He finished closely after me, and we went as fast as we could downstairs. While waiting for our transportation, we snapped a pic:

IMG_6139

You can’t see the curls, but they were there, at least for 3 more minutes. We made it to the location of the gala, which was a secret, and found out, it was being held at an old steel mill. Holy crazy! We stepped in, and they were handing out alcohol aplenty, and we couldn’t see any waiters with no alcohol, so we didn’t get anything to drink. We took a look around, and saw that they had a moving sushi bar.

IMG_6141

I didn’t partake, naturally. For the first half hour or so, it was all schmoozing with people, and finally, we made our way to our seats. While we were sitting down, there was a gal on the stage, on a pole, just sort of going back and forth, high up in the air. I can’t describe it any other way.

IMG_6143

We watched her for a while, then there were the opening speeches – three of them, and they seemed to go on for a while. Luckily, we had some water by then, so that was nice. After the speeches, they served us our first course, venison pie and a salad. I wish I could have gotten pictures of everything, but it seemed weird to take pics at such an event. Taking it of the entertainment was ok, but it seemed odd to do it of the food. The pie was not very good, but I’m not adventurous. After they cleared the first course, we had some more entertainment, a guy and a girl who used the poles to do acrobatics. It was pretty cool. After they were done, we got our second course – coconut curry soup and a seafood wonton. Seafood, gross. The soup was pretty good. After they cleared that course, it was time for more entertainment, a drumline. They were awesome! They drummed, and had light up LED stuff on them, which turned off and on in time with the beats. After the drumline, we had another course, a beef filet with potatoes, that was really good, even though the steak was basically rare. I made my way through it, though. Then we had a long wait, so pictures were taken of everyone.

IMG_6151

Then I made a trip to the restroom, and in the washings of my hands, I lost my CTR ring. I have never been so sad! I had nothing to do then, I couldn’t find it, I had no idea where it went. I went back to my seat, and we had another act, a singer. I don’t think she was famous, she only did covers of stuff, but she was fun, and really good. She sang a few songs, and then they gave us dessert. For dessert, they gave us pieces of cake cut into the shapes of puzzle pieces, they had three different kinds: carrot cake, coconut cake with mango sauce, and a chocolate mousse cake. This was served alongside a banana papaya ice cream. It was all good, but when all was said and done, it took us 5 hours to eat dinner. You read that right: 5 hours. Finally, after the meal was done (and the alcohol was flowing to everyone but us 4 Mormons) the dancing begun. The singer was singing an oldie tune, which I now can’t remember for the life of me, and Husband and I started dancing. He took ballroom, and I can’t dance at all, so he was basically twirling and spinning me around, and I just followed his lead. My dress was perfect for twirling, it really spins out and is awesome, so a few drunk Germans were trying to get us to go up in the front and dance, and after a while, we finally did, and that was a lot of fun. After that song was over, Husband went to go talk to someone, so I just hung out by myself, sort of near a friend I had made, and danced, just by myself, doo doo doo like I do. When it was nearing the end of the singers set, she was doing the thing that singers do, when they’re like, “Oh, I’ve had so much fun here, thanks for coming out, etc.” and then when she was introducing her next song, she said “Ok this one’s for you, blue dress” and pointed at me, and I almost died. It was a great song, so I danced my heart out (which basically consists of doing shimmys and shakings and some twirls) and then I was EXHAUSTED and HOT. So I went to the back of the room, where there were no people or heaters, and cooled right down.

At this point, I looked at my watch, and saw that it was midnight. Now normally, this would be just fine, but we needed to be up at 5 the next morning, to catch our flight on time, so we left, right as the party was going to get started. We heard a DJ was up next but I just couldn’t justify in my head staying up all through the night and then just catching my flight and trying to sleep there, since I already know that I wouldn’t have been able to sleep there, so we called it a night. After getting some pictures taken by the photog they had there, we went back to the hotel, and finally, went to sleep. A smashing night, a smashing success. Hopefully they’ll put the pics from the party online, and I can show you them soon!

No comments: