Saturday, August 3, 2013

Colorado Adventures

I went on a short weekend trip today with PJ, we went on our annual Colorado trip to see RSL play for the Rocky Mountain Cup. We flew in yesterday afternoon, and spent the evening finding a restaurant, and then finding our hotel and getting some rest. This morning, we had a run in a local park, and then we just spent the day visiting local favorite places to go, the park, the cupcake store Big Fat Cupcakes, and then went to a shoe store, I was interested in finding some flip flops, and I found some there. As I was perusing the clearance section, I happened to find a pair of running shoes – my exact running shoes that I get, in my exact size, on clearance. I couldn’t believe my luck! So I snagged them up, and as I was checking out, PJ had a $10 coupon she gave me, so I got my running shoes for half off! Lucky day! After the shopping, we got some dinner at a pizza place, which was so good. Then, off to the game. We got in the car, and looked at the weather, and wouldn’t you know it, there was a tornado warning given. In Denver. Whaaaat? We looked at the sky, and it was BLACK and stormy. We thought it may be a good idea to run back to the hotel and get our jackets. On the way, there was a train passing, and I genuinely could not see the end of it, we sat there forever, getting later and later.

Luckily, we got our jackets, and got to the stadium with minutes to spare. This year, instead of standing in the group of drunken idiots, we bought seats that were the next section over in the front row. It was sprinkling ever so lightly when the game kicked off, and then, 7 minutes into the game, lightning was going on near the field, and they stopped the game. They told us to leave our seats, and go to the safety of the overhangs. We declined, and sat there. And sat there. And sat there, getting rained on. It wasn’t very heavy rain, so we just hung out, but after about 30-40 minutes, it started to POUR and we finally had to admit defeat, and leave. The sky was looking super shady at this point, so it was probably a good idea. We went up to the overpass, and hung out for a while longer, then after a bit, they started the game again. The delay was 62 minutes long. At this point, my shorts were soaked.

IMG_5716

The rain was still pouring though, so we didn’t return to our seats, we stayed up in the overpass to watch. We spent the rest of the first half there, halftime, and then about half of the second half up there, trying to dry off. Finally, when there was about 30 minutes left, the rain stopped, so we went down to our seats. The game ended in a tie, 2-2, but we sadly lost the Rocky Mountain Cup. I’m not entirely sure how, something about the point system and all that, but that’s ok. Finally, the game was over, and we ran to our car, cranked up the heat, then went and got our post-game ice cream, then back to the room to take off all my soaking wet clothes. However, we were lucky in that there was no tornado.

No comments: