Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I've created small monsters

A week ago, as I was alone in the house with Husband being gone on yet another business trip, I was cleaning the kitchen. The doorbell rang, and of course, I'm like, people don't visit me, so I was immediately on my guard. I go to answer it, and as I open it, there is NOBODY on my doorstep. I heard some laughing, and yelled to the black nothingness (Since it was like, 7) "You guys are the WORST doorbell ditchers ever!" to which I heard back, "We're not ditching!" Out of the darkness emerged 3 boys - former scouts of mine, and to be honest, my favorites that I've had so far. I asked why they had come to visit me, and when they had no answer, they were just on their way home from scouts. I told them they must have come over for my candy. We have accumulated a lot of candy since Christmas. For Christmas, we were given 3 boxes of chocolates that we hadn't even opened yet. I was actually cleaning out the pantry when they had rang the doorbell, trying to figure out how to get rid of the chocolates. Luckily, they all showed up with my answer! I gave them the boxes of chocolates, and sent them on their ways, telling them to tell their moms not to hate me for giving them chocolates.

Cut to tonight, and I had just gotten home when the doorbell rang. I thought it was my brother, since I had just seen his wife wandering around the neighborhood. Husband got the door as I was upstairs, and I heard a faint kid ask "Is your wife home?" I came downstairs and see the same 3 boys, all smiling at the door. Of course, the first thing I ask them is if they came over for more candy, and they say yes. Luckily for them, we seem to collect candy in this house. It's given to us, I buy it to try it, and don't like it, but don't have the heart to throw it away, so I just keep it. Now, I believe I've found my chance to get rid of all of it. Of course, there will come a time when we'll probably run out of candy, but to be honest, I'd probably just go buy some more to give to them. I know I probably shouldn't encourage them to come over, but to be honest, I really like these boys, they're great kids. And having them stop by makes me feel like I'm doing an ok job as a scout leader, so for now, I'll just keep going with it, and hopefully, that doesn't make me a bad leader/person.

2 comments:

Chelle! said...

I love this little story. One of my favorite things is when my sweet young women show up at my door. It helps me feel important.

Maleen said...

Ha ha. That is great. Some day they won't remember your name, but you will always be 'that lady who gave us candy.'