Saturday, March 16, 2013

First Race of the Year!

Today, March 16, 2013, was my first race of 2013. I’d like to say I was ready for it, and jonesing to go, but really, I wasn’t. Originally, my first race of the year was supposed to be the Rex Lee Run 10K at BYU next weekend, but as I went to register for it, I learned that because of construction on the road the race is on, they decided to cancel to race. WHAT?! I was so sad! So now, in order to still reach my goal of doing 12 races this year, I had to find another race. I was looking for a 10K, so as I went in search of them, I found 2 this month that fit the criteria. One of them was in SLC at the Capitol building, and the other was in Layton, at a much flatter course, so Layton won out.

PJ and I met at 7:00 Saturday morning, and took the hour long drive up to Layton. I know people are thinking, you guys drove an hour to make it to a race? And yes, we did. We got there, got our numbers, and lined up to race. As we started the race, I thought, this isn’t too bad! But after about a mile, I realized I wasn’t nearly as ready for this as I should have been. Being at the tail end of this dumb cold, meant that I kept coughing during the race. And my mouth was still in a bit of pain, after the work I had done on it Thursday, so that didn’t help either. I think I ran at a good pace, but near the end of the race, my legs felt like jelly. To say I hadn’t run in a long time before the race would be an understatement, I don’t think I’d run more than 2 miles in about 2 weeks. But, I made it! I survived, and nobody died. After the race, we were given these sweet mugs instead of a finisher’s medal:

ShamrockMug

Cool, eh? And after we stretched, and drank some water, and ate an orange slice, we found someone who was willing to snap a pic of us:
ShamrockRace

See how festive my socks are? I was trying so hard to be festive for this race. You can’t see it, but I have a ribbon in my hair, a green ribbon. So thankfully, my first race of the year is over, and my next race is in about 30 days – and I intend to be ready for that one.

2 comments:

Maleen said...

No time or anything?? I like the mug though. That is different. We were probably running at the same time, but I only had to travel two minutes to my race. I can't wait to see all your races this year.

Chelle! said...

You look simply St. Patty's day amazing with your green attire. I can't believe the races have begun.