Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Say Aaaaah

Well guys, I had another surgery. We all remember (well, I do) my bone graft that I got done back in March. So now, it’s 4 months later, and I finally get to have my implants put in. I was getting four – one on my right side, and 3 on the left. (jealous, everyone?) So I get to the dentist yesterday, and had 2 x-rays done. One of my whole mouth, and one specifically for my lower jaw, so they can make sure everything down there is good for all these implants. They brought me into a room, and shortly, I was joined by the dentist. He let me know that it wasn’t going to be as easy as originally thought. Apparently, I have 2 really big nerves that run along both sides of my jaw, so if we used too big of an implant there, it would take away the feeling in my mouth/jaw. Oh goodie. So he says we can possibly use a shorter, wider screw, and give that a try. So they put me under, and asleep I went.

I WOKE UP IN THE MIDDLE OF IT GUYS! I don’t know if they didn’t give me enough stuff, or if something happened, but I woke up right in the middle, wondering what the heck was going on. I think they put in another IV or something, because when I awoke completely, I had a bandage on my hand, and I didn’t know where it came from. So then they explained to me that even though I had the bone graft all those months ago, and they made my bone wide enough, the bone isn’t deep enough. So I got one implant on my right, and one on my left, and they did yet another bone graft. So now, my face and mouth are all swollen, and I still have no teeth to eat from. I haven’t been able to open my mouth wide enough to look in there, though, which may be a good thing.

As soon as I came home from the dentist, I laid on the couch and went to sleep. I put Father of the Bride on, and watched maybe 10 minutes, and fell asleep. I woke up about an hour in, rewound it to where I was, and watched again. About 20 minutes later, I fell asleep again, and woke up when the movie was ending. I figured that was good enough, and started another movie, It Takes Two. I mostly stayed awake during this one. After it ended, I was awake for good, which was a good thing, since it was like, 3 in the afternoon at this time. Husband came home from work several hours later, and told me that Target wouldn’t let him pick up my prescriptions, so, I then had to go to Target. It wasn’t until we got there that I looked down and realized I had blood all over my shirt. How awesome I must have looked to other people. But I picked them up, and came home to rest yet again.

I get to go back in in 2 months and see how this bone graft is taking and possibly get the implants put in then. The implant put in on the right side is actually not hurting me at all, which is so great. So now, I have a few days off to recover, and I hope I recover quickly!

1 comment:

Maleen said...

Seriously Vieve....this all sounds so terrible. I have to go to the dentist on Wed. for a normal check-up and I am not looking forward to it.

I can't even imagine going in for that kind of work. I hope you get healing fast. I'm sad for you. :(