Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Pizza Rolls and RB Cookies...a classic combination


These are just a few recipes I’ve made lately. Of course, they all come from Pinterest, as all of mine do now. What did I ever do without Pinterest? I made one of these for dinner the other day, Pizza Rolls. I took a picture of them while I was assembling them, but not of the finished product. These are ridiculously easy to make. Get a tube of crescent rolls, pepperoni, and string cheese. Unroll the rolls, and place 5 pepperoni slices on the larger end, and place a half of string cheese on those, and roll it up. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. You can dip them into marinara sauce if you’d like. I didn’t, I found them delicious on their own.

Next, I made Root Beer Float cookies. Yesterday, at work all day, I really wanted to bake something. I kept thinking all day, but it wasn’t until the end of the day that I figured out what to make. I figured it would be easy, and that I’d have all the ingredients in my house. I came home, looked in the cupboard to make sure I had root beer extract. I have vanilla, almond, mint, but no root beer extracts. Dang it! So I went to my local Target to get it. I looked high and low there, even asked an employee (who kinda refused to help me, that was irritating) and finally, had to give up. I went over to Smiths, and found it there, huzzah! I don’t know how much root beer extract usually goes for, but I bought a small bottle there for 8 freaking dollars. That seems excessive, but what could I do, I now had my heart set on these? So I bought my things and went home to make them.
As I was making them, I was getting my brown sugar, and found that I didn’t even have enough! I had to borrow from my brother, a neighbor. Sheesh, I shouldn’t have been making cookies, it seems! They were really easy to make, which is always a plus in cookies. I let them cool, and put the root beer frosting on top, and holy cow, they are soooo good. So root beery too. I recommend them. Here’s the recipe, in case you want it:
Ingredients:
(Cookie)
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp root beer extract
4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
(Frosting)
4 cups powdered sugar
¾ cup butter, softened
3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp root beer extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and root beer extract. Combine dry ingredients, gradually add to creamed mixture. Drop by tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. For frosting, mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Beat until smooth. Frost cooled cookies…enjoy!

Now, the cookies in the photo from the site I got them on showed big, smooth cookies, perfectly frosted, yada yada yada. But when I spooned mine onto my cookie sheets, they were just lumpy little buggers, not really taking a shape. So my cookies are taller than they are wide, really. They still are good, they’re just not very pretty. But they are tasty, I recommend them to everyone

1 comment:

Maleen said...

I love finding new ways to serve pizza, because ALL my kids will eat it. You can't say that about many foods.