Saturday, November 19, 2016

Congo Bars

So, here's the thing. I got this recipe on Pinterest. I have no idea why these are called Congo Bars. I don't know what that's in reference to. I don't understand the name at all, and that's all right. I had decided to make these tonight, and after I had softened my butter and was all ready to get going, I realized, I don't enough have any brown sugar in the house. Me! No brown sugar! Gah! So I googled how to make some (just in case you could!) and found a recipe. So in addition to making these cookie bars, I made my own brown sugar! To make your own, you do 1 cup of white sugar and 1 TB of unsulphured molasses, and mix those up. That's it. So I did that, and then, made them. They are:

2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cup salted butter (softened)
3 eggs
2 1/2 cup flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 - 2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add in eggs and vanilla and stir until combined. Add the baking powder and flour, by cups, into the bowl. Fold in chocolate chips. Grease a 13x9 pan. Press dough into pan (you can either do this with your hands or a spatula, I used a spatula. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Test with a tooth pick. (The dough should be soft in the center.)

So, there they are. As an added bonus, I threw in like, a half a cup of mini M&M's, just for color and fun. Did a forget to take a picture? Yes. Did everyone eat them before I remembered? Yes, but take it from me, they were delicious, and should be made.

No comments: