Sunday, December 16, 2012

Skiing Saturday

Yesterday, I’d done something I’ve never done before – skiing. I’d never really felt a desire, to be honest. I don’t understand the fun behind strapping 2 very large pieces of wood/plastic to my feet and careening down a mountain in the freezing cold snow. But Husband loves to snowboard, so after many moons, I had finally agreed to give it a go.

We went to Sundance, signed me up for an instructor, and off I went. Husband went off on his own when my lesson started, leaving me with another first-timer Jose, and our instructor, Casey. I did get this pic before he left though:

SkiFly

The thing I enjoyed about the ski boots is I didn’t have to hold myself up, they just sort of made me stand up, so I leaned forward here, and the boots kept me up. Then, the lesson got started. He told us basic things like, how to go, how to stop, how to do things, blah blah blah. I seemed to have a mental handicap regarding stopping – I just couldn’t do it. Even when I finally got the “wedge” going, my skis were like, haha, we’re never stopping! And I didn’t care for that. I fell every 5 minutes. I fell while standing there, I fell while trying to turn, I fell while trying to stop. After we’d been learning for about 2 hours, Casey took us to the top of the mountain, to work our way down.

Welllll…that didn’t work out at all. I panicked like crazy, since skiing TERRIFIES me, so the way I went down the mountain is, I had to go down, and I held my ski poles parallel to the ground (he told us both to go like this) and Casey skied down backwards, holding onto my poles. I wish I had a pic to show this better than I’m explaining, and still, I didn’t like this at all. Finally, we got to the bottom, where I picked up a lot of speed, and Casey just let me go down. Of course, Husband was there at this point, and caught it on camera. Here am I, coming down, and smashing into Casey:

Crash

And then, this is me, after having fallen a BILLION times, and feeling tired and frustrated, and just ready to be done.

Skiing

Luckily, when we got to the bottom, the lesson was done, and I could go home. Naturally, Jose only fell about once this whole time, went down the mountain by himself, so basically, I felt like a retard who couldn’t do anything. But at least I did it one time, and while right now I don’t think I’ll ever go again, maybe ask me in a year, and my answer might be different. Today, however, with the soreness my body has, and the pain I have when I try to move certain muscles… it seems like a long time before I’ll ever go back.

1 comment:

Maleen said...

Ha ha. This sounds almost exactly like my skiing experience. Except when we went up the mountain, it was too steep and I didn't know how to stop, so I did what they call a 'yard sale'. That means you leave pieces of stuff everywhere. I lost boots, poles, and even a sock. My uncle looked at me lying there on the hill, and he took off his skis and walked down. I sure inspire confidence. Needless to say, I have not been skiing again and I am okay with that.