Sunday, December 9, 2012

And Now, The End

Finally, our trip comes to an end, and on Friday, we were set to fly out of Frankfurt at 7:25 AM. When we awoke at 4:30, I couldn’t help but notice that while it was 4:30 for us in Germany, it was 8:30 PM back home. That sort of thing really messed with my mind. We hurried to get ready, finish packing, return the rental car, and got to the airport at about 5:45. We SPRINT across the airport, because it’s huge and we need to get to a different terminal. So we get to the right one, and Husband is checking us all in, and I happen to glance up at the Arrivals/Departures boards. Our flight was to leave from Frankfurt at 7:25, as previously mentioned, to Paris, then we’d fly from Paris to SLC, in one shot. Luckily, they post everything by time, so I glanced at the flight to Paris, and I see one word:

CANCELLED

Uh…what?  Then I think, maybe I’m looking at the wrong board…or time…or something, so I frantically glance around, and no, that’s us, that’s our flight. So we get into this line that we’re directed to, to see what other flights are happening. We are automatically booked for a flight leaving to Paris at 1:15, but there’s no flight from Paris to SLC until Sunday. So we get in this line and wait. And wait…and wait…we were in that line for 4 HOURS. When we finally get up to the counter (keep in mind, they only had 2 people to wait on all of us) it took another 90 minutes to get us onto another flight that day, get it all squared away. Our new flight had us leaving at 12:45, landing in Chicago at 3:35, and then leaving from there to SLC, landing at 7:30. I was so glad we got to be on another! We RUN across the airport once again, since we had to get to the opposite terminal again, and we barely make it with 30 minutes to spare.

The flight here was nice, I won’t like. I had a great selection of movies I could watch, so I watched many that I had been wanting to watch, but never got a chance. The meal on this flight was a little more delicious, I thought, it was lasagna.

12-9-12 579

We finally landed in Chicago, and we take a look at the time of our next flight departing, and it’s in one hour. We have one hour to make our way through customs, security, and get across the airport to our next destination. Needless to say, that didn’t happen. We finally made it to the front of the line of customs when our flight left. Luckily, we had gotten a hold of Delta in the line, so we thankfully were able to get on another flight, departing that day. It was 2 hours later. We got through customs, security, and all that with maybe 45 minutes to spare, so we sat down to have a bite. We finally landed in SLC at 9:30, and at this point, we had been awake for about 27 hours, all of it having been spent in lines, or an airplane, or just an airport. But the time we finally made it home, it was 10:30, and I barely made it up to my FREEZING bed (We turned off the heat before we left, so the house was so cold!) and fell asleep. I didn’t sleep 11 hours like I had our first night, but I felt rested in the morning.

So all in all, a pretty good trip. And I feel like my experiences could be written into book entitled: Europe for Dummies: Since I seemed to have made so many mistakes and done so many dumb things. At least I lived!

1 comment:

Maleen said...

Man I hate layovers and flights that don't connect right. I'm glad you made it back okay.