Monday, April 22, 2013

Miscellaneous Monday

At the race this past weekend, security was strong. Like...an intense amount of cops were there. And obviously, after the horrifying events at Boston, I can see why they would have extra security, in case some wackjob tries the same thing at our race. But to me, having the bomb squad trucks there, and the helicopters, and the motorcycle cops weaving up and down our race course didn't make me feel any safer. It made me infinitely more aware of how dangerous our world has become. I hate that these bombers have taken a safe place - a race, and turned it into something that we aren't sure we feel safe at anymore. Even though, in my heart, I knew that the race was fine, and we'd have no problems, and nothing would happen, there was also that nagging voice in the back of my head that asked "But what if it does? What if we get to the finish line, and someone decides to bomb it?" I hope that this one-time awful thing doesn't ruin races forever. One of the greatest things is to be able to line up with your fellow runners, and just leave it all behind as you run your heart and legs out.

Tomorrow is, heaven willing, my last trip to the dentist. I'm all done at the oral surgeon, and tomorrow is the day I finally get my teeth put in. What a weird concept to think about. Two weeks ago, I went in and had my mouth fitted for the new teeth, and that hurt considerably more than I thought. When I had the other side done, it was easy-peasy, no probs, but this one was awful, it bled, it was all around a bad experience. Hopefully tomorrow goes smoothly. And speaking of the dentist, today when I got home, I checked the mailbox, and had an envelope from the oral surgeon. Immediately, I thought it was a bill, and I was so mad - I know we paid EVERY CENT they've ever asked us to! So I get inside, and practically rip it open, only to find that while it is a statement from them of everything I've ever done, and the cost thereof, there was also a check in there, of us having over-paid something. Huzzah! Of course, it's Husband's money, since he's paid the bulk of my teeth, but still, it feels nice to be able to get some money from the dentist, instead of forking it all over.

This past Thursday, I didn't have my co-leader for scouts. Of course, that just meant I roped Husband into being the second in command, since we're not allowed to only have one leader, so it wasn't that bad. We earned the ReadyMan badge, which is first aid. With how these boys seem to retain the info taught them, though, I don't know if I trust them to help in an emergency. I think the only things they took away from the activity is that burns are bad, don't throw up poison, and don't try to catch a snake if it bites you. Hopefully, they'll pick up more stuff, and probably from other people, as they grow up, so they won't be totally useless in an emergency.

1 comment:

Chelle! said...

Aw...such a great feeling to receive refund in the mail. :)