Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Day 83–Shirley Temple Cupcakes

The other day, I saw a recipe for Shirley Temple cupcakes online, and after looking at it I thought, I can do better. So I created my own recipe. I did a ginger ale cake, topped with a grenadine buttercream frosting. Let’s break it down.

Cupcake recipe:
1/2 cup butter softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup ginger ale

Preheat oven to 350°F. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and mix. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and ground ginger; set aside.  In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup ginger ale and 1/2 cup sour cream (mixture will fizz and bubble a little).  Add flour and liquid alternately, beginning and ending with flour.  Batter will be thick. Using scoop, fill cupcake liners 1/2 full. Bake for 17-22 minutes. I got 23 cupcakes out of this. And then

:
Frosting recipe:
4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter
3 TB grenadine syrup

Cream the butter, add the powdered sugar. When mixed together, add the 3 (maybe 4, depending on desired consistency) TB of grenadine. Adjust the syrup or powdered sugar, depending on how you like it.

I frosted the cupcakes, and then took a bite, and…

It didn’t taste like I thought it would! I tasted the ginger A LOT and I couldn’t really taste the cherry all that much. But then later, I asked Husband what he thought, and he couldn’t taste the ginger, but could taste the cherry, so I don’t know who’s right here. But it was a good attempt, I’ll just adjust things in the future, should I make these again.

ShirleyTemple

No comments: