Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Someday, I'll eat again

I hate the dentist. Hate, hate, hate. I try not to. Growing up, I always had bad dentists that were total douches, and were mean, and I was always in pain. So I never went to the dentist, and my parents never made me, so I successfully avoided the dentist for a number of years. Of course, now I’m paying for it with all of my dental work that I have to get done. But, the end is in sight. I’m nearing the end…is what I thought. I spoke before of the bone graft I had done back in March, which was painful enough. But now, I’ve mostly healed, and my implant surgery is now on the calendar (July 11, in case anyone wondered) and I figured that I would be totally finished.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a minor toothache in a tooth on the opposite side of my mouth than the bone graft. I figured I had just been overworking it, since I can only chew on that side. So I let it go and go until finally, I called my dentist and went in. On a side note, I love my dentist. I hate going, but this guy is a good guy who really helps me out, so that’s a plus side at least. Anyway, so when I went in, I had a checkup/cleaning, and they found the culprit, I have a fracture in my tooth. So, my dentist suggested this experimental procedure (that he’s only done on 1 person before!) and I said ok. I mean, it was either that or lose the tooth, and I’ll not do that. So I had this done, and was told not to eat on that side of my mouth, lest I mess up any of the work that they just did. So…now I can’t eat on that side, and I can’t eat on the other side, (having had the bone graft/I have no teeth over there right now) so…eating is a problem. Now that it’s about a week later, I am sick of eating things that have no substance. I am hungry all the time, because when all you eat is applesauce, soup, pudding, and yogurt (with the occasional ice cream/shake, froyo), it doesn’t really fill you up and you’re hungry again about an hour later. I’ve not had any meat since the Wednesday before my surgery, and I miss it. Yesterday, Husband came home from Tucano’s, and I could smell the barbecue-ness on him, and I thought, holy cow. I must be so crazy wanting meat that I can smell a little bit of meat on someone else’s clothes.

But it gets better. My stitches came out on Monday, and even though there is still a hole in my mouth (it didn’t really stitch up before they fell out, sheesh), I feel good about it healing. They told me I can start eating on that side once it stops hurting, yay! But sadly, there is still pain. It’s not as constant as it was, but when I touch the tooth, there is pain. I am definitely feeling confident that in less than a week, I will be eating solid foods again. And when I can, I’m eating nachos. And a burger. Some ribs. BREAD, I miss bread. Cookies. Basically anything. I can’t wait for this to happen.

1 comment:

Maleen said...

That super sucks. But oh, how you will enjoy the food when you can have it again. Makes me want a steak right now. Or a cookie. Too bad I don't have either on hand.